AMC Chemical Engineering Apprentice
Port Sunlight, Wirral, UK
Starting Salary: £15,263
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
We are looking for an Apprentice to join Unilever's Advanced Manufacturing R&D Centre in Port Sunlight, which covers the ~€30Bn Home and Personal Care categories Globally and for Europe, including brands like Dove, Persil, TRESemme,Comfort and Axe.
The job holder will work as part of the Advanced Manufacturing Centre pilot plant team in Research & Development, delivering high quality product innovations to support Unilever's Home and Personal Care category innovation programmes. While doing this they will study part time at the University of Chester towards a BEng degree in chemical engineering. They will work closely with process development engineers, R&D scientists and pilot plant technicians to plan and execute pilot plant manufacturing trials to prescribed specification, hygiene and safety standards and will complete aspects of each of these roles in rotation .
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/ DELIVERABLES
· As a pilot plant operator, support safe and on-time in-full delivery of pilot plant trials. This requires operational support to process development engineers before, during and after manufacture including contribution to experimental design, resource planning, checking of equipment & process designs to ensure safe operation, recording & reporting of experimental data, and the review of trials.
· Management of raw material & finished product inventory (including the use of specialist computer systems) to ensure manufacturing efficiency and traceability, efficient use of storage facilities, and the maintenance of technical and safety databases for materials in accordance with regulatory requirements.
· Execution of processing trials, from raw material pre-weigh through to finished product storage, at pilot scale by operating equipment in a manner consistent with relevant SHE policies, Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practises, Hygiene Standards and the relevant experimental design for the study in question.
· Delivering quality by carrying out QC checks on products using analytical equipment such as pH and viscometers, accurately reporting values using digital tools and interrogating control and data acquisition systems for set points and actual values.
· Responsibility for the delivery of continuous improvement activities under the direction of the pilot plant manager and safety coordinator as part of our 5S and preventative maintenance programmes.
· Rotation across a number of roles including the above, to bring a multitude of skills and experiences into the AMC team and onward career.
TRAINING TO BE PROVIDED:
BEng Chemical Engineering part-time blended learning at University of Chester
· GCSE English at grade C or above.
· A Level Maths, Chemistry and another relevant subject (e.g. Physics, Biology, Computer Science, Further Maths etc) at ABB grades or better
· Self-starter who will thrive in the challenging circumstances of completing an engineering degree part time while working hard in a rewarding role – and has the perseverance and determination to spend spare time distance learning / revising and studying to succeed.
· Innovative and enthusiastic approach to problem solving. Curious about the world.
Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people's lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow - making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.
Online Application >> Digital Interview >> Face to Face Interview >> Job Offer
Please note: As part of the job application, you will be asked to complete a brief online application form. Completion of the form is required in order to be considered. Please allow yourself enough time to complete the application form as when filled out partially or not at all it may adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the form at once as you will be unable to return to it later.