Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
SPECIALTY POLYMERS belongs to Solvay, a global multi-specialty chemical company with more than 27,000 employees, committed to developing innovative solutions for key societal challenges. With more than 1500 products and over 2 billion EU sales, Specialty Polymers, a core Solvay Global Business Unit (GBU), offers the widest range of high-performance polymers in the world. A portfolio that enables our customers to create advanced customized solutions that extend the limits of metal replacement in a wide range of areas from sustainable mobility, to hyperconnectivity and advanced consumer devices to batteries, electrification and efficient energy production, and many more. JOIN US When our science and innovation blends with your energy and passion, Solvay Specialty Polymers becomes the perfect fit to start your career. Join one of the world’s leading chemical companies in which vast international opportunities, motivating benefits and a fulfilling environment are waiting for you.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
The Process Control Engineer works in a team-based environment and is responsible for:
· Promoting the utilization of regulatory control schemes to increase the automation of the unit to improve quality, safety, efficiency, production capacity, and reduce manual intervention.
· Developing and documenting new strategies to troubleshoot instrumentation, diagnose operational interruptions, and maximize overall equipment effectiveness.
· Working with unit operation team and process engineers to identify and implement new ways to increase product yields, reduce energy usage, and optimize the value of byproducts.
· Coaching/training operations and other technical personnel on the concepts and use of control strategies.
· Generating new control strategies or instrument utilization projects which improve unit operations.
· Working in a team environment with other Process Control Engineers to maintain the overall site control system hardware and software.
· Maintaining relevant engineering documents and drawings, e.g. PFD, P&ID, operating, maintenance, startup, commissioning, ESD philosophies, Cause& Effect, PHA’s (HAZOP/LOPA), Fire & Gas detection, loop diagrams, logic diagrams, control & logic narratives, Instrument panel layouts, control room layouts etc.
· Supporting engineering, management and construction teams and other engineering disciplines on instrumentation and control issues.
· Coordinating control system integration of Advanced Process Control projects.
· Process control algorithm development, prototyping and implementation.
· PID tuning and implementation.
**This position requires an individual that is highly motivated, self-directed, well-organized and can function in a team-
based organization. This person should also have the ability to work well with other departments both external and
internal to the plant, especially the unit maintenance and operations team members. Being a safety champion is
paramount in obtaining this position.
Education and Experience:
· B.S. in Chemical Engineering or Electrical Engineering preferred. Candidates with other degrees who have a background in process control skills will also be considered.
· 5 - 10 years of experience working as a process control engineer.
· Experience with Distributive Control Systems.
· The ability to write and maintain various scripting languages and develop S88 compliant batch programs is desirable.
· Experience in the continuous process simulation development and associated studies in order to test control strategies.
· DCS configuration and control skill level with developing configuration and programming for new processes and control strategies.
To provide additional value, the candidate should also be knowledgeable in one or more of the following technologies:
· DCS hardware design
· Field instrumentation design, application, and Loopsheet design
· Field instrumentation maintenance experience
· Non-DCS control equipment (PLC, Panel Instruments, etc.) support
· Multivariable Model-Predictive Controller (such as DMC, RMPC, etc.)
· Dynamic Modeling
· Emerging Technologies (Expert Systems, Neural Networks, hybrid expert systems, Equipment Health Monitoring systems, etc.).
· Fast Prototyping and industrialization of Automation solution (in the large sense), Requirements gathering, Engineering and Design, Integration, implementation.
· Knowledge on functional languages and possible representation of functional analysis (IEC 61131: grafcet, logics, ladder).
· Knowledge regarding S88 standards.
· Knowledge on PC and APC tools such as Scilab or Matlab.