Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
· Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
· Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
· An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
· Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
· A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
· A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Woodridge location in St. Paul, MN in the SH division.
Structural Heart Business Mission: why we exist
Our business purpose is to restore health and improve quality of life through the design and provision of device and management solutions for the treatment of structural heart disease.
We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Senior Machinist (1st shift). This position ensures the efficient use of material, equipment, and personnel, in producing quality components, fixtures and tools. Responsible for ensuring work order accuracy, raw material inventory, and meeting work order due dates.
What You’ll Work On
· Assists in coordinating machine shop activity in assigned work areas, ensuring that work orders are continuously processed in accordance with work order due dates.
· Directs work orders to the appropriate work centers to ensure maximum utilization of the equipment in the tool room.
· Ensures that quality and production goals are met.
· Advises appropriate internal and external contacts in the event of equipment failure.
· Accumulates information for assigned areas regarding work in process status and daily work order flow.
· Assists in providing direct training to area Machinists as required.
· Provides feedback on defects encountered and provides re-training support as necessary.
· Aids in expediting priority work orders and tasks in assigned areas.
· Performs inspection as needed and directed.
· Will perform direct machining operations in support of work order due dates, 90% of the time.
· Remains current on developments in Machining expertise, applicable software, and a general knowledge of industry trends
· Resolves and/or facilitates resolution of problems including identifying causes to prevent re-occurrence.
· Daily contact with all Machinists for better communication and continuous improvement
· Ensures PM (preventive maintenance) and shop supplies are up to date.
· Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other applicable regulatory requirements.
· Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments.
· Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
· Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
· A Technical Degree in Machine Tool Technology, or other comparable experience in the Machine Tool industry and/ or Tool Making Industries.
· Highly skilled user of Mastercam software.
· Typically, a minimum of 4 or more years of progressively more responsible experience, including the ability to provide work/lead direction to a team.
· Desired demonstrated knowledge of production technical skills, Metal working and inspection skills.
· Prior experience working in a machine tool environment as a machinist is required.
· Demonstrated organizational skills, attentiveness to detail and the ability to work under minimal supervision is required.
· The comprehensive ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English is also required; this requirement includes clear, understandable speech, demonstrated comprehension skills, and demonstrated competence in English spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
· The demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and rules is essential.
· Demonstrated proficiency in operating a personal computer and e-mail.
· Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment that demands a high-level flexibility in regard to prioritizing work.
· Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
· Multitasks, prioritizes, and meets deadlines in timely manner.
· Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
· Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
· Makino VMC experience is desired.
· Familiarity with Renishaw probing, and tool setting is desired.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The base pay for this position is
$23.25 – $46.45/hour
In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
Facilities & Maintenance
SH Structural Heart
United States > Minnesota> St. Paul > Woodridge : 177 East County Rd B
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf