At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Abbott in Ireland
In Ireland, Abbott employs more than 3,200 people across 11 sites. Abbott has six manufacturing facilities located in Clonmel, Cootehill, Donegal, Longford and Sligo and a third-party manufacturing management operation in Sligo. It has commercial operations in Dublin and shared services in Dublin and Westport. Abbott serves the Irish market with a diverse range of health care products including diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals. Abbott has been operating in Ireland since 1946.
Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets. The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland’s reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
We currently have a full time vacancy for a Process Projects Engineer who will be based supporting wet processing and Spray drying operations and this position will include the following:
Follow all Health and Safety Rules and Regulations in the plant.
• Report any current or potential hazards to your immediate manager immediately
• The correct Personal Protective Equipment (P.P.E.) must be worn at all times. Consult the appropriate SOP where required.
• The Process Projects Engineer is responsible for consulting any SOP’s for any job task he/she may carry out and ensure they fully understand and adhere to the SOP.
• Housekeeping is a critical function of all jobs and the Process Projects Engineer is expected to ensure all craftsmen working under his/her supervision ensure housekeeping activities are observed and carried out appropriately. It is important that the Process Projects Engineer is in adherence to the Housekeeping SOP.
• It is important that GMP is a main priority in any operation carried out in this job function.
• He/she must help establish with the Engineering & EHS Manager the departmental goals, schedules and timetables for activities.
• Establish communication lines with all other departments e.g. Manufacturing, Q.A., Materials, Human Resources, Technical Operation Support and Finance.
• Plan and schedule work in accordance with plant demand and available manpower.
• Maintain adequate stores stock levels and ensure proper in/out control.
• Ensure compliance with Abbott International Global Standards, GMP & Environmental requirements.
• Responsible for promoting good employee relations.
• Ensure all Abbott employees and contractors under his/her direction are fully familiar with all Safety Rules Regulations.
• Ensure all efforts are made to reduce product cost by improving efficiencies.
• Drive a Continuous Improvement culture through effective RCA & PPS.
• Ensure all employees follow correct procedure when carrying out hot work, working at height and confined space entry ensuring work permits are fully in compliance with SOPs.
• This job function will change where update procedures to GMP, EHS, Technical/New Equipment, Quality procedures and SOPs are made.
• Support Business Excellence initiative in the plant.
• Services, troubleshoots, and solves engineering problems with processes or equipment already in operation.
• May be responsible for corrective and preventive actions and investigation management.
• Interact with a cross-functional team including engineering, manufacturing, quality, technical and materials with the objective to deliver key site projects focused on Wet Processing, Evaporation and Spray Drying areas Ensure all project quality and validation requirements are met through thorough planning, agreeing, preparing and executing successful trials and validations as per Abbott policy
• Be passionate about project management and develop strong project plans, charters and resource requirements.
• Work closely with Project Management Office, maintaining all associated project schedules and budget.
• S/he must have strong ability to problem solve and have the attributes to drive this behavior when driving improvements to equipment inefficiencies and projects. Use lean tools to drive root cause identification and corrective/preventative measures.
• Conduct business in a manner that will protect human health, safety and the environment by complying with all applicable EHS laws, as well at the Abbott Global and Technical standards.
• Take action to resolve operational problems and minimize delays.
• Participates in preparing engineering designs and work specifications, developing project schedules, budgets and forecasts, and selecting materials, equipment, project staff, and external contractors.
• Participates in selecting and managing the activities of contractors to ensure they are integrated into the project and the organization receives satisfactory standards of service.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Food Process Engineering or equivalent discipline.
Minimum of 2 years relevant experience in Engineering.
Prior experience in a Dairy/Food Process Engineering role is essential, or indepth experience with Evaporators and Spray Dryers
Knowledge of an Automated Manufacturing Environment with a good solid understanding of process equipment is essential
The ability to organize, motivate and understand people [Contractors, Equipment Suppliers and team members]
Good mental ability to logically follow a line of thought for problem solving.
Accountability / Scope
Individual contributor with comprehensive knowledge in the areas of Processing - Wet Processing, Drying and/or Powder handling.
Key participant in executing highly complex or specialized projects.
Adapts precedent and may make significant departures from traditional approaches to develop customized solutions.
Considerable and continual care and attention is needed to avoid substantial damage to
Continual attention needed to ensure plant reaches its annual production plan.
Ensure Capital budgets are controlled with all expenditure adding value for money.
DIVISION:ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
LOCATION:Ireland > Cootehill : Dromore West
WORK SHIFT:Ie - 38.0Hst0 (Ireland)
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE:Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)