Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Over the past few years, Abbott has undertaken a dynamic transformation spanning its innovative products to its technology infrastructure. With leading devices like FreeStyle Libre, Xience Sierra and CardioMEMS, among others, Abbott and the patients we serve live in an increasingly advanced world. Moreover, Abbott's strategic acquisitions in 2017 of St. Jude Medical and Alere have amplified the breadth and complexity of its commercial business.
Who We Are : We are legal experts who support and help advance the interests of Abbott's global businesses. As a part of the Abbott Legal Division, we have an opportunity to work for a life-changing medical technology company. We provide thorough and reasoned advice, and engage as business leaders to solve problems for the company as well as the customers and patients we serve.
What We Offer : With Abbott's proud heritage of developing and delivering life-changing technology and products, and commitment to doing business the right way, a position in Abbott Legal provides an opportunity to engage in meaningful and challenging work on a global scale. As our company grows and evolves, so can our roles and experiences.
How We Work : We expect and encourage our employees to be holistic thinkers and to collaborate so we can get to the best solutions. We value diversity of backgrounds and experiences. We expect our team members to consider both internal and external factors and impact when providing advice and making decisions. We strive to find creative ways to address business challenges, and are committed to leading and shaping the environment in which Abbott operates.
Primary Job Scope:
Abbott is seeking an experienced commercial attorney to provide legal advice to its multi-billion-dollar vascular products group. The attorney will be expected to identify and resolve complex legal issues to support the commercial operations of a global leader in the research, development, manufacturing, sales and marketing of vascular products. The attorney will be responsible for acting as the day-to-day legal advisor to the business and for the drafting and negotiation of a wide range of commercial agreements. The attorney may coach and direct assigned support staff (administrative assistants, paralegals) in their responsibilities.
The successful candidate must possess strong knowledge of corporate and commercial/transactional law and demonstrated expertise in drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and advising and counseling clients on a range of business transactions and operational matters and in multiple areas of law.
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide range of agreements, including complex matters relating to procurement, sales, licensing, marketing, clinical, and research activities;
- Advising and ensuring that internal clients receive sound, practical and timely legal advice on a wide variety of legal matters related to the operation of a commercial business that markets and sells to health care professionals;
Maintaining familiarity with laws that affect client areas in order to issue spot and provide basic counseling, including those relevant to sales and marketing of products to health care professionals and reimbursement by government programs, including, for example, fraud and abuse (Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act), FDA regulation (Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act), privacy (HIPAA), and anti-corruption (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act);
- Resolving legal issues using negotiation skills and providing proactive legal advice to key business leaders on issues of concern to Abbott;
- Assisting with U.S. and international compliance initiatives;
- Developing knowledge of Abbott's businesses, products and client areas supported;
- Representing Abbott externally to suppliers and customers; and
- Helping select and/or directing the work of outside counsel, defining project objectives, managing projects, and monitoring outside counsel to ensure they operate within budget.
Critical Success Factors:
- Good Judgment : Demonstrate expertise and sound judgment, understand how assigned responsibilities support Abbott's business objectives, and be able to provide practical, risk-balanced advice based upon a thorough understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
- Collaboration : Firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources and ability to integrate information from a number of sources to achieve business results, including breaking down boundaries to create alignment as necessary, in a complex, global, matrixed environment.
- Anticipation : Holistic, big picture thinker, who anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
- Influencing Skills : Build strong relationships with business partners to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes. Represent Abbott externally to customers, suppliers, competitors, trade associations or government agencies; and resolve legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise/engage in external influencing efforts.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, demonstrate a strong academic background, be admitted to a US state bar in good standing, have or be able to obtain appropriate licensure to practice law.
- 3+ years of legal experience in the medical device or related industries, or law firm.
- Demonstrated experience advising all levels of clients on a wide variety of legal issues of interest to Abbott, including: commercial, legal regulatory, research and development, and clinical matters.
- Strong commercial contracting and transactional experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the laws, regulations, standards, and guidance governing the conduct of a medical device company.
- 5+ years of combined experience within corporate company and law firm environment.
- Leadership and ability to see and handle more than the legal issues of a project; strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice; a strategic and innovative thinker who can develop and articulate a clear understanding of the company's strategy from all perspectives and find creative solutions to complex legal problems.
- Must be able to move easily between a hands-on, operations-focused view and a strategic outlook.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business model.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with leaders and co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (approximately 10%).