Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Job Function:
- Conducts research under the guidance of a research scientist, project coordinator, or R&D manager.
- Directs own daily activities utilizing multiple experimental techniques and incorporates appropriate procedures.
- Correlates and verifies ideas through experimentation.
- Interacts with other groups and shares information; participates in team activities.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Understands and consistently follows documented procedures.
- Executes assigned tasks; utilizes technical and theoretical understanding of several techniques to complete assigned tasks.
- Applies quantitative methods: analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and provides/implements process or document improvements.
- Troubleshoots instrumentation or experiments.
- Utilizes technical literature to expand technical and theoretical understanding.
- Applies basic computer skills (includes word processing, spreadsheets, instrumentation-related and Abbott network systems).
- Produces reports and documents utilizing writing skills.
- Knowledge of analytical instrumentation.
- Recognizes and assists with the resolution of technical problems.
- May prepare and deliver presentations of project results to own or other groups.
- Shares knowledge and expertise with others in the work unit.
- Participates in planning project tasks.
- Prepares and aligns goals with manager's goals.
- Influences decision-making through negotiation, addressing conflict, and by building productive working relationships within a team.
- Participate in technology teams.
- Interprets experimental results, draws conclusions, and recommends options for next steps.
- Makes or provides input to plans that accomplish assigned activities.
- Plans time to accomplish tasks.; Conducts experiments according to plan.
- Maintains appropriate documentation so that information and materials are traceable and processes are transferable.
- Modifies work procedures to meet current ADD quality and regulatory requirements.
- Establishes and uses appropriate metrics to measure progress toward meeting quality standards and to enable early identification and correction of gaps.
- Tries to understand changes in work tasks, situations, and environment as well as the logic or basis for change.
- Treats change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth.
- Focuses on the beneficial aspects of change.
- Speaks positively about changes to others.
- Quickly modifies behavior to deal effectively with changes in the work environment.
- Readily tries new approaches appropriate for new or changed situations.
- Does not persist with ineffective behaviors.
- Exchanges information with appropriate frequency and within a time frame to maximize its utility and to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Delivers pertinent information via the correct medium (written, oral, electronic).
- Listens actively to acquire information; asks investigative questions.
- Demonstrates responsibility for ensuring that the information is received and understood by the receiver to accomplish the desired outcome..
- Takes thoughtful, yet timely, action when confronted with a problem or when made aware of a situation.
- Implements new ideas or potential solutions without prompting; does not wait for others to take action or request action.
- Takes action that goes beyond job requirements in order to achieve objectives.
- Looks for ways to improve efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Identifies implicit assumptions in the way problems or situations are defined or presented.
- Sees alternative ways to view or define problems.
- Is not constrained by the thoughts or approaches of others.
- Draws upon multiple and diverse sources for ideas and inspiration.
- Brainstorms multiple approaches/solutions to approaching the business, processes, and daily work.
- Examines numerous potential solutions and evaluates each before accepting any.
- Targets important areas for innovation and develops solutions that address meaningful work issues.
- Deals with people in an honest and forthright manner.
- Presents information accurately and completely.
- Performs actions as promised.
- Does not share confidential information.
- Ensures that words and actions are consistent.
- Fairly represents organization's capabilities.
- Meets personal commitments and promises.
- Builds relationships by helping others feel valued, appreciated, and included in discussions.
- Places team or organizational goals ahead of personal goals.
- Offers to help others achieve mutual goals.
- Volunteers and exchanges ideas freely.
- Seeks out, uses, and builds upon ideas from others.
- Gains agreement from partners to support ideas or take partnership-oriented action.
- Recognizes risks relative to procedures and takes appropriate action.
- Understands and carries out responsibilities in line with the overall project goals.;
- Reads technical literature applicable to current projects.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- B.S. or Masters degree in a life or physical science.
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
LOCATION:United States > Santa Clara : 4551 Great America Parkway
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf