Role Title: ETF Investment Strategist
Business: Retail Banking and Wealth Management
New or Existing Role- New
· The role is focused on contributing to drive the successful implementation of the HSBC ETF investment strategy and product positioning. The ETF Investment Strategist develops thought leadership on strategic topics and generates compelling ideas for research evaluation to the HSBC ETF range. The ETF Investment Strategist will play a key role in the commercialisation of the ETF product offering.
· The individual will work closely with investments and distribution with the role being focused on helping define the commercialisation strategy for existing and developing strategies. The HSBC ETF client segment focus is 3rd party clients globally as well as HSBC bank's proprietary channels.
Impact on Business
· ETF thought leadership
· Develops thought leadership on strategic topics and generates compelling ideas for research evaluation to
· Develop customised product analysis that articulates investment objectives, product features, performance attribution and relevant competitive advantages.
· Formulate the product messaging and provide inputs to marketing materials and RFPs
· Participate in seminars and events representing HSBC
· ETFs as well as client meetings where appropriate.
· Design tools to monitor market and competition data to be used across ETF teams. Provide topical market and strategy updates to sales teams on a regular basis.
· Keep abreast of industry, market and company trends, and partner with business leaders to understand key concerns and opportunities for each line of business; tailor analysis and synthesis around these topics
· ETF product commercialisation strategy
· Participate in designing and support implementation of the
· ETF product commercialisation strategy.
· Actively engage in the full lifecycle of the ETF development
· that covers idea origination, investment strategy design, index development and index reconciliation
· Participates in department-level strategic planning for
· HSBC's ETFs, contributing insights derived from analysis and synthesis of the offering
· Proactively work with various teams across ETF and generalist functions (product, legal, sales, marketing, portfolio management, IT, data management and others) within the firm to complete projects and identify synergies *
· Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned
Customers / Stakeholders
· ETF Sales Teams
· ETF Capital Markets Team
· Research and Insights Team
· ETF Portfolio Management Team
· ETF Marketing Team
· Communications team
Leadership & Teamwork
· Member of the ETF team
· Member of the ETF capability
· Member of the ETF strategy team
· Providing clarity around the positioning and messaging of the HSBC ETF range
· In a fast changing asset management and client landscape, regularly review positioning and messaging of the overall
· HSBC ETF range to achieve the scale required to further attract larger investors with size constraints and achieve economies of scale for the range.
· Balancing the demands of multiple stakeholders, in particular those in distribution, research and insight, investments and product within AMG
· Staying up to date with the finance market and external investment opportunities, as well as internal initiatives
· Managing complexity of the business across multiple client/regulatory jurisdictions
· Staying abreast of the impact of technology and data for commodities investment products and the impact on investment strategy process.
· Ensuring compliance with a changing regulatory environment with general regulator unease about ETF liquidity and growth of index tracking strategies.
· ETFs are a key growth area for HSBC Global Asset Management. The ETF industry is growing rapidly with strong competition amongst an increasing number of market players.
· In this context, the ETF Strategy team will contribute to the success of the HSBC ETF range in a crucial way, by leading the product strategy and driving the commercialization and thought leadership for the range.
· This position sits within the ETF Capability reporting to the ETF Strategist team lead. The role works closely with the ETF Sales team, the Research and Insights Team, as well as the ETF investment team.
· HSBC Global Asset Management currently manages over USD 516 billion assets with USD 62 billion in index and active systematic investments, out of which USD 8.8bn are in ETFs. Developing our ETF business is one of HSBC's key priorities with 5-year accelerated growth and market share targets.
Management of Risk
· Is aware of Operational Risks associated with the role and acts in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations
Observation of Internal Controls
· Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
· Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy
· Understand the Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) principles, HSBC Global Asset Management's TCF philosophy and how this affects your role. Act in a manner that takes account of these principles to ensure fair outcomes for customers
Ideal candidate profile
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
· At least 10 years investment management
· In depth understanding of ETF markets and trends
· Experience in ETF sales strategy, investment, sell-side, financial analysis and/or ETF specialised related areas
· Strong commercial acumen
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong sales presentation skills
· Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
· Ability to develop investment strategy with a good degree of autonomy
· Strong macro-economic outlook
· Solution oriented attitude, hardworking, motivated and can-do attitude
We are a diverse workforce and it is part of our organizational culture, it reflects our belief that diversity of thought, background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization. We strive to implement a culture that is inclusive, diverse, positive and performance-oriented. Having a diverse workforce allows us to benefit from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.