2017 Graduate Engineer (Ashby or York)
2017 Graduate Engineer (Ashby or York)Job ID: 250557
Job Family: Engineering
Mode of Employment: Full time only
We are looking for engineering students to join our Mainline Rail Automation department, a part of the Mobility division, on a2 year graduateprogramme.
The demand for mobility if growing all over the world as the transportation of people and goods to all corners of the earth presents challenges for the infrastructure and national economies. Mobility is providing solutions to the following questions: How will cities solve the problems of increasing traffic? How can railway operators improve the punctuality, and security of their systems? How can we ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum? In summary, what solutions are available to ensure that the capacity of the railway is increased, our carbon footprint is contained and the customer satisfaction is kept at an optimal level? All the mobility-related products, solutions, and services from Siemens are bundled in the Mobility Division.
As a valued member of the team, this role will enable you to learn to capture detailed requirements, design, implement, test, install and maintain SCADA/PLC control and monitoring systems and/or railway telecommunications. This role will also enable you learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases. In addition, projects may also include Integrated Station Management, Passenger Information Systems, Remote Condition Monitoring systems, Operational and Retail Communications Systems. As an engineering intern, you will have the opportunity to move across the various engineering departments at Siemens Rail Automation and this will provide you with key experiences which will ultimately help you make a well informed decision about your future in engineering.
You will develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes associated with the transport and process industries.
What are my responsibilities?
· Support the engineering team delivering high quality technical and engineering solutions for large multi-disciplined projects for clients related to Control and Information systems, primarily in the rail sector.
· Technically understanding our customer requirements and then ensuring that solutions are designed and implemented in a methodical manner under the supervision of engineering personnel whilst utilising industry best practices.
· Ensure products or projects are delivered in accordance with Siemens safety and quality/testing procedures and meet all applicable legislation and project requirements.
· Utilise Root Cause Analysis processes when solving problems.
This role is based within the Engineering Team and reports to the Training and Development Manager.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
· You must be studying towards an Electrical, Electronics, Software, Systems, Computer Engineering, Telecommunications,Mathematicsor Mechantronics degree, aiming for a 2:2 or above .
· Good written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent organisational and time management skills.
· Ability to deal with technical issues and make timely, sound decisions with minimal consultation.
· Ability to develop a firm understanding and appreciation of system design, safety concepts and associated decision making within the relevant industries.
· An understanding of quantifying and managing technical risk when involved with project work.
· Appreciation of requirements management.
What else do I need to know?
Our client portfolio includes Network Rail, Docklands Light Railway and London Underground. Project references include Crossrail, Qatar Education City, East Coast Main Line, Edinburgh Trams, Storebaelt and Interconnector. More information about our business unit can be found at http://w3.siemens.co.uk/mobility/uk/en/rail_solutions/Rail_Automation/Control_Information/Pages/Control_Information.aspx .
How do I apply?
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.