· Job facts
Software Engineer II at Roche
The human genome was first sequenced in 2003 after fifteen years of hard work and cost three billion dollars. Today, the recent availability of sequencing the entire human genome with ~$1000 brings a once-in-a-lifetime technology disruption. This disruption has brought great challenges and opportunities to the data analytics market, all the way up to personalized medicine practices, and Roche is positioned at the heart of this value chain.
The novel challenge of the genomics market is not “big” data, but rather “very big” data. A single whole genome sequencing sample can grow to be as much as one terabyte. Processing, analyzing, and handling this amount of data for many samples makes the scale of traditional web service challenges pale in comparison. At Roche we are bridging the gap between the worlds of scientific research and professional software product development.
As a Software Engineer II, you will be joining a development team tackling a number of hard problems in data analysis software for next-generation sequencing. You will work with a cross-disciplinary team of engineers, designers, scientists, and bioinformaticians to design, develop, and test applications serving the needs of the scientific and medical communities.
· Design, implement, and integrate UI components and backend APIs
· Participate in requirements refinement, architecture discussions, design specification reviews, and test plan development for features across the full stack
· Solve difficult problems related to processing large amounts of data.
· Write unit, component, and integration tests.
· Technologies used include Typescript/Angular, Java Spring, PostgreSQL, Spark, Scala, git, JIRA
· B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent field with a minimum of 2 years direct related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform at this level.
· Full-stack aspirations, with expertise in at least one layer
· Preference for teamwork over working in isolation
· Familiarity with the design and usage of REST APIs
· Understanding of relational databases
· Ability and desire to learn new technologies and become productive quickly
· 3+ years of experience in active software development
· Production software development experience in either Java or C++/C#
· Proficiency with Java Spring and PostgreSQL
· Life sciences background and/or experience in the health care or medical devices fields
· Bioinformatics experience of any kind
· Who we are
At Roche, 94,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we've become one of the world's leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.