IBM's Global Business Services (GBS) is the world's largest consulting services organization. GBS provides clients with business transformation and industry expertise, and the ability to translate that expertise into integrated, responsive, innovative business solutions. GBS provides consulting services across multiple industries and covers the whole process chain from strategy consulting through to the construction, implementation and operation of technical and commercial solutions.
As the Principle Interactive Developer you will be working in the confluence of marketing and product development on experiences that span physical and digital space. Candidates should have a strong technical foundation, but also a willingness to wear multiple hats, and a strong, sustainable drive to bring constant improvement and deliver high-quality, integrated software.
This position requires both a mastery of the hands-on aspects of web interface engineering, as well as an ability to design solid front-end architectures that integrate with other systems and technologies; and, the ability to communicate these solutions to other members of the team both verbally and in written documentation.
A suitable candidate will bring a curiosity and excitement for new web technologies and techniques alongside proficient development skills and extensive full stack experience. They will employ agile development techniques including continuous integration and continuous delivery to improve overall execution speed and product quality.
The Principle Interactive Developer will play a key part in the growth of the iX Development team and as such will be prepared to mentor and tutor junior members as well as co-ordinate the efforts of developers in remote locations They will assist with the recruitment and professional development of the Developers in the group. They will define and maintain the development standards and technologies adopted by iX.
A candidate should bring relevant professional experience and a track record of team leadership and mentoring, as well as a growing profile in the Development community.
Day-to-day responsibilities include leading the design of client side engineering solutions; the hand coding of web-based applications, web pages, and web-based mobile experiences; integrating your code with other technologies (Web Services, client back-end systems, content management systems, etc.); optimizing performance of front-end applications; and working with visual designers, user experience designers and software engineers.
The Principle Interactive Developer should have:
· A curiosity and excitement for new web technologies / techniques.
· Proficient development skills and extensive full stack experience
· A strong passion for the front end as a mix of art and science.
· Extensive experience in hand coding, no WYSIWYG coding.
· The ability to write standards compliant XHTML & CSS with thought given to performance, experience, accessibility and SEO.
· Solid understanding of cross-browser/platform issues and code solutions.
· Experience using modern JS Frameworks (React, Backbone.JS, AngularJS, etc.).
· Writing well-formed, unobtrusive JS with scalability and extensibility in mind.
· Experience with Node.js and its acceleration frameworks.
· Knowledge/ experience with front-end performance optimisation (YSLOW standards).
· Experience working with AJAX and services/ API's to serve up dynamic and data-heavy content.
· Previous experience with server-side languages (PHP, .Net, Java, etc).
· Object Orientated Programming and scripting expertise.
· Excellent debugging and problem solving skills (use appropriate browser debugging tooling).
· Experience with source control (SVN, GitHub, etc).
· Experience of DevOps tools, techniques and concepts.
· Experience leading teams of developers
· Excellent time management, problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills.
· Must be available to work on client site.
· Ability to follow technical specifications and production processes.
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
State / Province
LONDON, CITY OF
Primary job category
Design & Offering Management
(8660) IBM United Kingdom Limited
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
Up to 75% or 4 days a week (home on weekends - based on project requirements)
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Portfolio of work or links to live projects and experiences:
· Extensive and demonstrable experience developing responsive front-end in a waterfall or agile engagement
· Extensive and demonstrable experience working with AJAX and services/ API's to serve up dynamic and data-heavy content.
· ExtensiveExperience / familiarity with integrating major 3rd party APIs (Facebook Open Graph, Twitter, Google Maps, YouTube , Open Social, OAuth etc.).
· Extensive and demonstrable experience in hand coding, no WYSIWYG coding
· Extensive and demonstrable experience working within MVC frameworks
· English: Fluent
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· Agency experience/working with Visual & User Experience designers
· Experience / familiarity with Content Management Systems, ideally both Open Source and proprietary.
· Knowledge of product and package selection methods.
· BA or MA Degree in Computer Science or other areas of development (such as web, games, systems, products, programs and software
Secondary Job Category
· English : Fluent
· Candidates must hold eligibility to live and work in the UK
Early Professional Track
Not Applicable - Professional Hire