Airbus DS Newport
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Power Electrical Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Newport.
The Power/Electrical Engineer is responsible for reviewing the current status and inputs from the customer and producing technical reports covering internal and external requirements for electrical and physical designs including power provision, uninterruptable power supplies, earthing, electrical safety, EMC, TEMPEST.
You will also conduct a site survey and assess the environmental considerations and electrical/mechanical interfaces. You will be responsible for ensuring the equipment design meets current customer requirements and contractual obligations. You will produce a BoM for new equipment that meets your design criteria. You will be the subject matter expert in the aforementioned disciplines.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Conduct site survey of equipment and associated passive infrastructure
· Complete power/physical technical reports
· Create and check BoM meets expectations and matches design
· Perform installation – includes removal of existing hardware and installation of replacement hardware
· Ensure design/implementation is completed to the necessary MilStan/DefStan.
· Create electrical and installation designs
· Report to Team Leader, taking technical and task leadership as appropriate.
· Communicate effectively with team members.
· Report progress on tasks as required to immediate supervisor or project manager.
· Develop a trusting and professional relationship with QA representatives.
· Work with Drawing Office to produce bespoke design solutions
· Make technical decisions within the build tasks, establishing the best solutions for the products in question.
· Equipment selection.
· Calculating power loading / earthing and proposing appropriate solutions
· Act as customer representative by deciding upon the suitability of a solution or system through testing that the solution meets the specification.
· Be able to isolate and demonstrate failures in the product or system built, identifying likely causes and solutions.
· Be capable of applying general principles and experience to solve complex problems.
· Creation of environment in line with specifications.
This role will involve extensive travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
· Educated to degree/HND level (or equivalent) in Electrical/Electronic engineering
· IEEE wiring regulations version 17
· Appropriate MilStan/DefStan experience and training
· Deployable and military communication systems experience
· Detailed familiarity of site preparation and construction including: rack installation, electrical wiring & loading, wall penetrations, safety practices, heating and cooling considerations.
· Knowledge of interior & exterior fibre optic and copper cable wiring, including single-mode, multimode and hybrid fibre optic cable, shielded and unshielded Category 5e cable, and termination and testing of new and legacy systems
· Knowledge of Health & Safety of Electrical Installations
· Interpretation of 2D and 3D drawings into bespoke products
· MilStan 461 & 810 understanding
· SDIP 27, 28 & 29 understanding
· Requirements Management.
· Good Communication.
· System engineering principles.
Here are some other vacancies your might like
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).