Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our Navigation Products Development group as a hands-on Firmware engineer, developing a range of state of the art space sector products and technologies across a variety of domains and technologies. This role offers challenges across a wide variety of projects and technologies, including the opportunity to explore state of the art GNSS receiver technologies, cryptographic system implementations as well as Satellite communication systems, real time Digital Signal Processing and embedded System on Chip technologies.
As an experienced Firmware engineer, you will be a highly technical and hands-on capable engineer with a history of delivering complex technical solutions. Your technical background and experience will ensure you can offer the support and guidance to more junior team members as required, as well as being able to support and assist peer firmware developers at code level and conduct in depth code reviews.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Working on a wide range of projects involving new and existing systems, solutions and processes
· Taking ownership of personal work, delivering on time, on cost and on quality under the direction of the Engineering Manager/team lead.
· Working closely with development Project Managers and business managers to produce accurate delivery estimates and manage the transition from analysis through to design and delivery
· Providing regular and effective progress updates to and working closely with team leads to ensure the management of any delivery risks or issues
· Participating in reviews and meetings and providing updates on project progress
· Taking responsibility for ensuring that risks and issues are identified and escalated to the team lead/Engineering manager and to deliver on time and to the required quality standards
· Contributing to the development and management of allocated departmental processes
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
· Experience of the Xilinx workflows and FPGA modelling tools.
· Thorough technical understanding of VHDL, FPGA and SoC design, from initial design capture through to system maintenance & updates.
· Experience of using the Matlab simulation tool.
· Experience of System on Chip (SoC) design targeting FPGA’s or ASIC’s
· Background understanding of FPGA circuit design and implementation, principles of hardware design specifically ADC and DAC technologies, RF communication systems.
· Excellent personal organisation and ability to prioritise and carry out multiple tasks
· Comfortable working without routine supervision
· A desire to remain technically capable and expert in current technologies
· Capable of understanding and contributing to the technical solution from design through code level to test and verification.
Here are some other vacancies your might like
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).