Wimbledon, Greater London
Construction & Property - Rapairs and maintenance Co-ordinator
· Job type
Construction and Property
· External Reference
Adecco are recruiting for a Building Maintenance Inspector to work in a local authority in Wandsworth. *Please apply online with your CV. Please note that only successfully shortlisted candidates will be contacted*
Building Maintenance Inspector
£16.03 per hour
M - F, 9 - 5
To inspect and specify works to vacant properties, deal with non-routine repairs and provide advice and assistance to the other members of the area team on building matters.
The successful candidate will have:
· Experience of property maintenance
· The ability to undertake surveys and prepare specifications
· The ability to supervise contractors
· The ability prepare short technical reports
· The ability work outside of core office hours as the need arises
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible to the Building Maintenance Manager for the provision of a building maintenance resource. Will provide technical reports and expertise on repair matters.
· Responsible for investigating and taking appropriate action over repairs related matters within a defined local area, liaising with residents, contractors and other agencies. Prepares and issues repair orders for works, checking invoices and post-inspecting a sample.
· Responsible for ensuring that void properties are prepared for re-letting or sale to the required standard within the timescales laid down in Departmental procedures and contract specifications.
· Attend accompanied viewings, providing prospective tenants with relevant information about the property and advise on the proper installation and use of appliances.
· Responsible for inspecting and providing condition reports for properties subject to mutual exchange and house purchase grants.
· Responsible for keeping accurate property records including photographic evidence of water ingress which may develop into a formal disrepair case. Prepares reports in support of such cases and may from time to time attend Court or mediation.
· As directed by the Building Maintenance Manager, prepares specifications for work requiring competitive quotations under the Council's Codes of Practice.
· Following a request from a leaseholder or tenant seeking approval for alterations or additions to their home, as directed by the Building Maintenance Manager will inspect the property to assess its viability.
· Makes recommendations to the Building Maintenance Manager for properties to be included in the external decorations and capital repairs programme and completes the appropriate formal referral.
· Provide advice for new Estate Managers on technical issues and attends joint inspections where required.
· Assists the Resident Participation Officer in inspecting communal areas, community halls/ clubrooms, preparing specifications for refurbishment and overseeing works for small improvements.
· Responsible for ensuring that quality of work and value for money is achieved for all works. Assists in the resolution of disputes arising from contractors' charges or quality of work.
· Monitors the performance of new and existing contractors and makes recommendations concerning the use of new suppliers for works.
· Responds to correspondence within the timescales laid down corporately and provides reports for the Area Housing Manager/ Deputy Area Housing Manager as required.
· Provides information on the property repair history for submission to the Council's Insurance Section. Liaises with the assessor, prepares specification, seeks quotations, and arranges for the necessary work to be done.
· Will routinely check roofs of blocks within their patch to determine the conditions, identify any repairs or major works required and progress as necessary.
· Responsible for inspecting and arranging 'making safe' and monitoring of structural defects and dangerous structures, making referral to structural engineers as appropriate.
· Will occasionally be required to undertake surveys/ inspections to properties located outside the borough.
· Responsible for ensuring the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act are complied with at all times by contractors engaged on work on the housing stock. Liaises with safety advisors and inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive as necessary.
· To be fully aware of and understand the duties and responsibilities arising from the Children Act 2004 and Working Together in relation to child protection and safeguarding children as this applies to your role within the Council. To also be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to vulnerable adults in relation to your work role. To ensure that your line manager is made aware and kept fully informed of any concerns which you may have in relation to safeguarding and/or child protection.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy