Are you interested in a career in Event Management? Professionals working in Event Management are known as Event Managers, Event Planners, Event Organisers or Event Co-ordinators. In this section you can find out more about what the occupations involve along with examples of universities offering programmes that will give you access to this profession.
What does being an event manager entail?
Event Management professionals' main responsibility is to create the perfect event for clients, guests, stars and spectators. Event Management consists of the planning, co-ordination and running of people and all other aspects involved with many different kinds of events, from the Olympics to cocktails parties. Typical events organised by Even Managers include festivals, conferences, formal parties and conventions.
Event Managers must understand the brand they are publicising, identify the target audience, come up with a suitable concept for the event and co-ordinate technical aspects before the event actually takes place. Event planning can consist of budgeting, arranging speakers and entertainers, catering and organising transportation and parking.
Event Managers are needed in almost all kinds of businesses, from Charities, Governmental bodies, and financial institutions to fashion houses and sporting bodies. Event Management is a strategic marketing and communication tool which helps communication with clients and prospective clients.
What skills are needed for a career in event management?
- Team player: In order to be a successful Event Manager, you will need to know how to work well as part of a team. Cross-team communication is also necessary as many different teams, such as external suppliers and entertainers, will have to work together to ensure the success of an event.
- Creativity: If you know how to think outside the box, this is the right career path for you. A successful Event Manager will know how to exceed clients' expectation and add the touches necessary to increase brand awareness.
- Leadership: Not only must you know how to work effectively as part of a team, you must also have strong leadership qualities in order to ensure aspects such as negotiations with clients and suppliers.
- Good decision maker: You will need to be able to think on the spot to come up with compromises and deal with complications.
- Organisation: This one is pretty self-explanatory. If you love organising people and events and making sure everything goes according to plan, this could definitely be the career for you.
- Excellent communication skills: Both face-to-face, online and on the phone, excellent communication skills are essential for a career in Event Management.
- Ability to work well under pressure
What qualifications are needed for a career in event management?
There is no specific degree needed for a career in Event Management, however those with business, management, hotel or catering management, leisure and tourism or marketing degrees may have more chance of finding a job in this sector. Access to a job in Event Management is sometimes possible without a degree if the candidate has the right work experience, skills and qualities. UK Universities offering degrees in Event Management include:
- University of Surrey
- Bournemouth University
- University of Derby,
- University of West London
- University of Brighton
- Leeds Beckett University
Average salary of Event Management graduates in the UK
The average salary for entry level assistants in the UK range can range from £13,000 to £18,000. Senior Managers in Event Management can earn over £50,000 per year. Salaries can vary depending on experience, sector, company and location.
Typical employers of events management graduates include specialist event management consultancies, events venues, PR agencies, universities, charities and conference centres.
JAPAN Events San Francisco (City and County of San Francisco) Events Internship KENYA Events Internship FRANCE Events GERMANY Events TAIWAN Events Guangzhou, 中华人民共和国 Events Pushkar (Ajmer) Events Québec, Canada Events Naples (Napoli) Events INDIA Events Sheraton, UNITED KINGDOM Events Miami Beach (Miami-Dade) Events Baltimore (Baltimore) Events Oxon Hill (Prince George's) Events Jaisalmer (Jaisalmer) Events INDIA Events New Orleans (Jefferson Parish) Events Sacramento (Sacramento) Events