At Sheraton, we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love what we do, and we give it all we've got – on property and off. When guests stay with us, it's not just a room with a bed that they're buying. It's an experience. We're looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the lives of those around you, we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
Responsible for Palm Court daily shift operations and supervision of staff. Position assists with promoting the lounge, menu planning, maintains standards, assists servers on the floor during peak periods and manages property liquor inventories and controls. Strives to ensure guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Accountable for enforcing all legal obligations professionally and consistently. Determines training needed to accomplish goals, then implements plan. Strengthens the food and beverage/culinary team by assisting in other outlets when needed.
Education and Experience
· High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
· 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Bar & Lounge Operations
· Implements agreed upon beverage policy and procedures in Palm Court.
· Manages in compliance with all local beverage and liquor laws.
· Understands beverage control including days on hand, perpetual inventory, bar pars, portion control, costs controls, beverage potentials, mix of sales analysis for beverage, issue & returns, food standards, and period end inventory.
· Monitors adherence to all liquor control policies and procedures.
· Attends pre- and post-convention meetings as needed to understand group needs
· Comprehends budgets, operating statements and payroll progress reports as needed to assist in the financial management of department.
· Participates in the management of department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
· Manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
· Ensures compliance with all Bar/Lounge policies, standards and procedures.
· Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
· Ensure standards for afternoon tea service are maintained at all time.
· Be pro active in controlling crockery stocks and organize replacement as necessary.
· Establishes par levels for supplies, liquor, beer, wine and equipment and completes requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for anticipated business.
· Assists with developing menus and promotions as necessary.
· Monitor and maintain cleanliness and working condition of departmental equipment, supplies and work areas
Leading Palm Court Team
· Trains staff on liquor control policies and procedures.
· Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
· Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
· Communicates critical information to the Bar/Lounge staff regarding each event.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
· Provides excellent customer service.
· Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
· Responds effectively to guest problems and complaints.
· Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
· Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
· Provides feedback to individuals in an effort to improve service performance.
· Reviews GSS scores and guest satisfaction results with employees.
Managing Human Resource Activities
· Supports a departmental orientation program for employees to receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
· Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
· Adaptability - Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
· Communication - Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behavior; and models active listening to ensure understanding..
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Bar - Knowledge of general bar operations including local and state liquor regulations; liquor, beer, and wine brands; inventory management for bar operations; preparation and presentation of drinks; management of banquet bar operations; knowledge of Training in Intervention Procedures in the Service of Alcohol or equivalent programs to ensure fluency in safe service of alcohol.
o Bar Concepts - Promotion of beer, wine, and spirits to drive awareness and sales; marketing restaurant and bar concepts and events; knowledge of industry trends in food, beverage, and design to maintain competitive.
o Finance/Accounting - Knowledge and understanding of financial knowledge, controls, inventory, costs, expenses, and all cash handling procedures and policies.
o Food and Beverage Sanitation - Knowledge of procedures and techniques for kitchen maintenance, cleaning, and use of sanitation systems; use of grease trap; trash compactor(s), Baler operation, dish machines, and other equipment. Knowledge of techniques for care and cleaning of silver, stainless steel, and dish machines.
o Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.