Power Grid Solutions
In this technical pre-sales position, the Solution Architect shall become a trusted technical designer with both our external customers and internal technical teams. The role will work with specific account teams, product management and engineering to support growth in the electricity distribution segment, developing and driving a technical strategy and supporting overall deal closure for Software Solutions products and services to end user customers within the UK & Ireland region.
The role requires exceptional outcome selling skills and curiosity to understand customer business models, markets and operational profiles, in order to establish a deep understanding of our customers’ most important business outcomes, and partner with our product, development and engineering teams to align our product roadmap strategy. In addition, it will be required to translate customer requirements into technical solutions and to easily switch between long term sales cycles for business-critical solutions and short-term sales cycles for agile and focused applications.
The successful applicant will join part of an expanding team at GE focussed on developing and delivering solutions to drive the energy market transition in the UK and Ireland. The position requires exceptional influencing skills with all level decision-makers to drive new thinking about how they run their business.
· In this role, the Solution Architect will have to:
· Quickly build a solid technical knowledge of GE software products for distribution utilities, specialising in SCADA, Distribution Management and Distributed Energy Resource Management solutions
· Establish a deep understanding of our customers’ business and technical needs
· Evangelize customers in face to face or remote meetings or exhibitions on the new GE product capabilities to drive demand and continued interest
· Develop and present pitches and demonstrations of GE software solutions
· Translate customer requirements to existing building blocks and / or roadmap, and fill the gap
· Design and produce competitive offers for new systems, or to address new business case or regulatory changes, with a strong focus on UK market. Limit or supress risks of deviations (technical or financial) during project
· Offers typically include hardware, third party software and GE software. These are assembled to provide a winning offer to the customer
· Convince both internally and externally of the design choices for a wide range of audience (managers, operators, developers, IT people.)
· Defend the commercial value of the offers, in relation with the initial customer business / use case
· Demonstrate innovation, curiosity, adaptation to rapidly evolving technology, IT architecture (Cloud, etc.), cyber security threats, and new distribution applications (Low Voltage modeling, Voltage regulation, Active networks, Impact of distributed renewable sources, etc.)
· Drive excellence and propose improvements and new ideas: listen and suggest
· Develop evolution path and migration plans for key GE customers from their current state to the target GE Digital Strategy
· Honors Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent knowledge or experience
· Legal authorization to work in the UK
· Abide by all Health and Safety rules
· Abide by all compliance policies (working with integrity)
· Fluent in English both spoken and written
· Capacity to convince, in both presenting and written skills
· Experience in electrical grids, or electrical engineering background
· Good knowledge or experience with real time, mission critical IT systems
· Availability to travel both within UK and Europe as required
· Significant experience working with utility software
· Position is based in Livingston, United Kingdom. Limited working from a home office can be considered in some cases.
· Note: the position involved travels (usually short i.e. 1 to 2 days) which are currently assessed to be around 10-15 per year in the UK, and 2-4 per year in the rest of Europe or in Africa.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit theUK Border Agency website
APPLICATION OPENING DATE 05/12/2018
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE 03/01/2019
· Experience working with Distribution Management Systems (DMS)
· Experience using, installing or managing GE software systems
· Demonstrable experience of designing complex and secured IT system
· Knowledge of the UK utility market
· Capacity to work under strong time pressure
· Geographical mobility for 1-2 days each time
· Well-developed skills working as a member of a geographically dispersed team
· Demonstrated capability and drive for independent learning
· Basic knowledge of commercial and financial principles
· Basic knowledge planning and project principles
Nice to have:
· Knowledge of GE positioning and competition
· Knowledge of IT products, costs, licensing rules and limitations, and capacity to optimize offers.
· Knowledge of hardware and network equipment from main vendors (HPE, Dell, CISCO, Fortinet, Pao Alto, etc.)
· Knowledge of UK organizations such as Ofgem
· International experience of working with other cultures
· Languages other than English (especially Spanish or French)
GE Power is a world leader in power generation with deep domain expertise that helps customers deliver electricity from a wide spectrum of fuel sources. We are transforming the electricity industry with the digital power plant, the world’s largest & most efficient gas turbine, full balance of plant solutions and our data-leveraging software. Our innovative technologies and digital offerings help make power and water more affordable, reliable, accessible and sustainable.
GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, and according with all local laws protecting different status.
Follow us onTwitter , join ourLinkedIn Group or become a fan of ourFacebook page. Receive job and event notifications by becoming a member of theGE Talent Community . Stay up to date on what’s happening at GE around the globe by checking out theGE Careers Blog .