· Role area
Marketing & Creative
· Contract type
· Job reference
Sainsbury’s Argos is one of the biggest retailers in the UK and we’re investing significantly in our insights and analytics capabilities in order to bring customers to the heart of our decision making. We care about customers and want to delight them and exceed their expectations. Consequently our business decisions are driven by data and insight so that we can work hard to understand, empathise and engage with our customers to build real connections with them at every opportunity.
We are building a world class Insights team with a broad and diverse set of technical expertise, from coding to qualitative research, but all united with the same core set of skills: curiosity, an analytical mindset, drive, tenacity, and a desire to influence commercial decisions from the perspective of customers. We value that everyone brings something unique and individual to the team. You will be joining a supportive, growing, and committed team and will also benefit from access to the broader data and analytics community at Sainsbury’s Group.
In a nutshell
This Analyst role will be responsible for performing analysis on our customer data to drive new and actionable insight across the business. The variety of problems the team will work on will be large, but at their heart will be a desire to understand how our customers are behaving and how we can influence this. The role will identify opportunities for automating analysis, providing repeatable insight into various teams, within the CMI team, within Marketing and across the organisation.
The team’s objective is to use our customer and digital data to drive insight to inform decision-making and measure success at an operational and strategic level. They will consider how customer shop across the Argos estate, our physical and digital channels and our all our propositions and how this is changing over time, identifying patterns which will allow us to act to drive further value.
You will model customer behaviour, define and produce innovative attributes of customers that can be used predict value & behaviour, and to provide insight into teams to allow them to leverage the data in the decisions they make. You will create propensity models and segmentations which will be used to setup and measure actions made by the business.
Your role will be to support the answering the businesses customer based questions, providing them with data and analysis through ad-hoc work.
What I need to do
This role will primarily be responsible for performing customer based analysis and insight and making that available across the CMI team and wider business. They will understand the context and background to a business question, determine suitable methodologies and craft data from multiple sources to answer that question. They will present their findings in a way that both answers the question, engages stakeholders and, where possible, has clearly defined actions available.
Specifically, this Analyst Role will:
- Take on multiple high impact problems, translating business questions or problem into a robust set of methodologies that, once executed, provide actionable insight to non-experts. They will use multiple advanced analytics techniques as necessary will apply them to pieces of analysis as appropriate.
- Be a custodian of our data, working with the Data Management teams to ensure it is coherent and reporting accurate. They will feed requirements into the Data management team for new data features and aggregations.
This role will play an active position within both Sainsbury’s Argos and Sainsbury’s Group analytical community, leading activities and proactively championing the community.
Specifically, this role will focus on analysing Customer data within our Single Customer view, but will supplement their analysis with other datasets as needed.
How I will succeed
You will be analytically minded, you will be understand the problems at the heart of a stakeholders questions and able to determine and work with the other analysts to execute the most appropriate analytical methodologies to answer it. You will communicate your findings clearly to non-technical audiences and be constantly seeking new ways of understanding the context of their questions.
What I need to know
This role at the core of our analytical teams and therefore has to:
- Be a good analyst and have some experience in fast paced business environments in turning, often vague, business questions into a piece of analysis that will answer the problems behind the original question.
- Ideally be familiar with analysing Customer Data, with an awareness of common pitfalls in analysing customer data
- Have a good ability at understanding a business question and selecting one or more analytical techniques and data sources to obtain as accurate and robust answer as possible
- Be strong technically across multiple analytical platforms including but not limited to Advanced Excel & Microsoft office skills, SAS / WPS, R or Python. Needs SQL knowledge. Would be helpful to have experience in visualisation software such as Tableau, PowerBI or Qlikview, as well as experience in digital toolsets such as Adobe Reporting & Analytics or Google Analytics.
What I need to show
- Be an agile and innovative thinker, you should be both astute and creative with a logical and methodical approach to problem solving, you’ll be passionate about not just data but finding the what, why and how.
- Be an excellent communicator, credible and articulate, with excellent presentation and interpersonal skills. You will be comfortable pulling the interesting story from complex datasets and presenting your findings in an engaging manner.
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to explain your findings to your team and peers, taking challenge and using that to improve your analysis.
Resources available to me
- Support from your team of fellow analysts and a data management team in place to obtain and manage your source data.
- Support from the overall Sainsbury’s Argos CMI team
- Support from the wider business and analytical teams as required.
What decisions I can make
You are accountable for the quality of your work. Ensuring that the methodologies and data used, will provide accurate answers to questions that can be trusted. Knowing when enough analysis is sufficient, when limited further value can be obtained.