Airbus Defence and Space Stevenage
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
We are looking for a Mechanisms Engineer to be based at Airbus Defence & Space Limited in Stevenage. As a Mechanisms Engineer your role will involve the detailed design, development and verification of high reliability, complex space mechanisms with a focus on motor development for both telecoms spacecraft and science missions.
You will join a team of 12 highly experienced engineers who are all knowledgeable and passionate about space mechanisms. As a Mechanisms Engineer you will be responsible for the full lifecycle of motor development projects, current and future, working alongside different department experts from whom you will gain engineering knowledge in a diverse technical environment including thermal, stress, materials, environmental testing and quality, while also gaining a comprehensive working knowledge of complex space mechanisms and tribology.
The successful candidate will be subject to security clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
The role will involve some UK and European travel for business and as such you must be willing to travel accordingly.
· Understanding and working to a detailed technical specification
· Perform mechanisms and motor related design, analyses and trade-offs
· Collaborating with specialist analytical departments and test departments (stress, thermal, radiation, electrical, manufacturing, test, etc.) to ensure the final analyses and test process satisfies stringent philosophies
· Preparation of reports for management, project and department
· Carry out trade-offs and preliminary concept designs for early phase science studies
· Develop and maintain excellent customer working relationships; including ESA, internal Airbus departments and the end customer
· Assist in preparation of technical elements for bids and proposals
· Support other Airbus Defence and Space departments on studies
· Contribute to work packages to ensure tasks/activities are completed on time, on cost and on quality
· Support the project responsible engineer during development, qualification and acceptance verification and validation
· Work closely with the project manager to ensure schedule and budgets are closely adhered to
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
· Familiar with the basic motor equations and ohms law and their application to simple motor driven systems
· Familiar with the specification and operation of stepper motor (permanent magnet, hybrid) powered and unpowered static torque profiles and their relevance for intermittently powered systems
· An understanding of the different methods of driving stepper motors (Unipolar, Bi-polar, mini-step, etc.)
· Familiar with the specification, operation and understanding of the speed torque profile of DC brushed motors
· Familiar with open loop drive methods for DC motors
· Knowledge of small gearboxes designed to be directly driven by motors such as mentioned above, in particular what elements contribute to efficiency and how to demonstrate margins in a motor + gearbox assembly
· Construction and performance of motors and gearboxes as to be able to influence or make decisions on detail design lements, noting that these items will likely be designed and manufactured by specialist external manufacturers
Here are some other vacancies your might like
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).