This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with strong analytical, numerical/statistical or scientific background to join the Underwriting and Capital Management (UCM) line of business as an Analyst for catastrophic risk.
The candidate would be joining a team of experts spanning across the fields of insurance, data science and pricing, reserving and capital actuaries, the vision being to provide unrivalled analytical risk. This exciting opportunity comes with various technical challenges which are as diverse as the industries we deal in and involves both UK-based and international projects.
· Be responsible for the delivery of catastrophe modelling analysis by utilizing the RMS catastrophe risk model and by outsourcing / co-operating with Strategic Risk Consulting in WTW where required by peak work-loads
· The role would also include helping to prepare and present output data from the models to support actuarial analyses and underwriting portfolio management
· Advising UCM and where applicable risk capital on general natural hazard issues, in particular those relevant to earthquake, wind and flood
· Developing and applying innovative approaches for identifying natural hazard risks for regions where no standardized risk assessment tools or models exist
· Strong analytical, engineering-, science- and/or mathematical-based background with interest in the area of natural hazard risk (including earthquake, wind and flood)
· Experience in using RMS third party catastrophe models is essential and AIR or RQE valuable together with a good level of understanding of probabilistic and catastrophe modelling concepts. Experience in non-modelled risks would be advantageous
· Day to day tasks will include quality assessment of raw data, reviews of exposures to Natural Hazards as well as preparation of modelling input files, running of market recognized models and the review, interpretation and validation of the output in light of underlying modelling assumptions and their limitations
· Knowledge of databases such as SQL or MS Access, VBA, R, any GIS software such as Q-GIS or Arc GIS etc. would be an advantage
· Insurance market experience and understanding of policy structures for catastrophe risks would be an advantage as well as solid analytical skills, including the ability to find ways to use available data sources to answer questions and solve problems
· Highly motivated team player and able to thrive in a growing team environment
· Educated to degree level and/or with a relevant professional qualification – underwriting, claims adjusting or risk management
· Proactive rather than reactive
· Team player with good interpersonal and influencing skills
· Strong relationship management skills and the ability to establish trust and credibility
· Ability to work under pressure to tight timelines and without direct supervision
· Organised and methodical
· Excellent analytical problem-solving skills
· Commercial awareness – a commercial and pragmatic approach to holistic business management
· Fluent business English
Willis Towers Watson is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 40,000 employees serving more than 140 countries. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent, and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas – the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Together, we unlock potential. Learn more atwillistowerswatson.com .
Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer
Willis Towers Watson believes that effectively managing a diverse workforce is vital to our business strategy. We have an obligation to our organization, ourselves and our clients to hire and develop the best people we can find. We will continually review our policies and practices to ensure that all areas of the employment process (including recruiting, hiring, work assignments, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, company-sponsored development programs and overall workplace experience) are free from discriminatory practices. We are committed to equal employment opportunities at Willis Towers Watson
Unsolicited Contact: Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Willis Towers Watson are considered property of Willis Towers Watson and are not subject to payment of agency fees. In order to be an authorized Recruitment Agency/Search Firm for Willis Towers Watson, any such agency must have an existing formal written agreement signed by an authorized Willis Towers Watson recruiter and an active working relationship with the organization. Resumes must be submitted according to our candidate submission process, which includes being actively engaged on the particular search. Likewise, for our authorized Recruitment Agencies/Search Firms, if the candidate submission process is not followed, no agency fees will be paid by Willis Towers Watson. Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer.