Microbiology Risk Assessor
Salary: competitive plus benefits
Function: Research & Development
Travel: 10% Travel
The Safety & Environmental Assurance Centre (SEAC) is a Unilever Capability housed in R&D. SEAC scientists provide authoritative leadership in safety (Consumer, Occupational & Environmental) and environmental sustainability (COES) for risk/impact-based decision making to help drive Unilever's sustainable growth ambitions.
Our scientists are at the forefront of developing Next Generation Risk Assessment (NGRA) approaches. The job holder will be responsible for working in multi-disciplinary teams, applying both traditional microbiological risk assessment, as well as applying NGRA approaches to assure the safety of Unilever's innovations and products (Beauty & Personal Care, Home Care, and Foods & Refreshment). They will play a role in leading the development of these NGRA approaches.
Please note: this is not a lab-based role.
· Provide microbiology safety expertise for Unilever innovation projects as part of multi-disciplinary teams, including conducting microbiological risk assessments for foods, personal care and home care innovations and products.
· Deliver transparent, well-documented microbiological risk assessments to SEAC project teams to enable robust decision-making.
· Communicate internally and to business partners on risk assessment outcomes and provide guidance on risk management (where appropriate).
Apply more complex NGRA approaches to ensure the safety of novel technologies with regard, for example, to antimicrobial resistance or changes in the human microbiome.
Build and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders internal and external to Unilever, e.g. business partners, academic partners).
Lead the development of microbiological safety science through internal work or external collaborations, delivering to the current and future needs of Unilever's Divisions.
Play a part in leading change through a team-based approach, to make an impact internally & externally on the way in which microbiological safety assessments are conducted and communicated now and in the future.
Provide significant leadership to others in delivering and reviewing assessments.
Proactive approach to developing self and others to meet SEAC current and future needs.
· Sole responsibility for leading designated SEAC projects as appropriate
Key Skills and Experience
· Minimum MSc in Microbiology or similar relevant subject
· Knowledge of microbiological risk assessment and proven experience in its application in an industrial context
· Proven experience in leading scientific research projects, with good evidence of leading and delivering through external partnerships
· Knowledge of microbial ecology, host-microbe interactions, microbial physiology and clinical features of pathogenic microorganisms
· Good influencing skills and ability to convince and defend own agenda in front of stakeholders
· Evidence of a creative, problem-solving mindset
· Excellent written & verbal communication skills including ability to convey scientific subject matter in a simple manner
· Flexibility and willingness to adapt within a fast-changing business environment
· Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and in multi-cultural environments
Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people's lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow - making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.
Standards of Leadership:
· Bias for Action
· Building Talent and Teams
· Growth Mindset
· Consumer and Customer Focus
· Accountability & Responsibility
How to Apply
Find out what it's like to work here by clicking on this link https://www.unilever.co.uk/careers/professionals/working-here/
Or to apply now, click on “Apply to this job”. All candidate applications are reviewed in accordance with the criteria outlined for the job role. Please note that the closing date for the receipt of applications is 22 nd October 2018
Unilever est une multinationale Anglo-Néerlandaise. Créée en 1930 par la fusion de Lever Brothers et Margarine Unie, cette société est la quatrième mondiale sur le marché de l’agroalimentaire derrière Nestlé, PepsiCo et Kraft Foods. Elle est aussi le premier producteur de glace et de thé au monde.
Chaque jours, 2 milliards de personnes utilisent des produits Unilever qui se vendent dans plus de 190 pays. Unilever emploie plus de 171 000 collaborateurs à travers le monde dans plus de 100 pays et possède plus de 400 marques dans le monde comme par exemple, Ben & Jerry’s, Miko, Lipton pour les boissons et glaces, mais aussi, Alsa, Amora, Knorr dans l’alimentaire, Axe, Dove, Signal dans le soin à la personne et enfin, Sun, Skip ou encore Cif, dans l’entretien de la maison. Son chiffre d’affaires s’élève à 51,3 milliards d’euros. En France Unilever compte 2 800 collaborateurs et génère un chiffre d’affaires de 2,6 milliards d’euros.