Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
3D Programmer, Ubisoft Toronto
Ubisoft Toronto is looking for you, 3D Programmers.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion, in stores March 2020. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for four consecutive years and in 2018, one of GamesIndustry.biz Best Places to Work.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a 3D Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto
When you’re a 3D Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto, you connect with our players on two of the most basic aspects of a AAA game: its visuals and its performance. Your exceptional maths skills, your sharp eye for visual detail, and your knowledge of GPUs allow you to write a game’s most fundamental code and deliver a stunning visual experience.
As a dependable member of a larger production team, you collaborate with colleagues from a range of disciplines who depend on you for quickly getting something that is clear and good-looking up on screen. You work well with technical artists, transforming their requirements into efficient, working code.
Essentially, what you care about is image quality; you’re probably a photography or cinematography buff. You have a good understanding of the physics of lighting and a working knowledge of physically based shading. You use these passions, skills, and knowledge to create striking work, and are eager for your colleagues’ feedback.
The daily life of a 3D Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto
· Program code customized to the hardware you are working with
· Explore new hardware and deal with the interesting new challenges it poses
· Meet up with artists to assess their needs and vision
· Review code to improve its performance, in search of that vital extra millisecond
· Read the latest relevant academic literature in order to stay at the forefront of your field
· You might attend a 3D tech talk by one of your colleagues on another project or brand – or give one yourself
What it takes to make it
· An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
· A minimum of 5 years' experience in general programming, ideally in the video game industry, with at least 3 years in graphics programming (having shipped a video game is an asset)
· Proficiency in C++ (understanding of C# is an asset)
· Experience with HLSL, DirectX
· Experience in 3D programming for Xbox1, PS4 and/or PC (DX11+/OpenGL 4.3+)
· Understanding of modern GPU rendering pipeline and how to utilize it efficiently
· Understanding and experience in real-time Physically Based Rendering (lighting, BRDF’s, camera model, etc.)
· Comprehensive understanding of rendering techniques used in modern AAA video-game productions
· Experience developing on video-game consoles and in performance optimization for consoles, particularly XB1/PS4 specific shader optimizations
· Experience in using Mathematica to solve and optimize rendering algorithms
· Understanding and experience of Monte-Carlo path tracing techniques
· Drive and knowledge how to push the real-time rendering quality in video-games
· Ability to technically analyze images and propose quality improvements that fall in line with PBR;
· You are a Philomath (a.k.a. a lover of maths – algebra, geometry, calculus, the whole set)
· A proficiency to communicate with all disciplines, and to support and elevate the team in terms of visuals and performance
· You are creative and thirsty for innovation
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts who know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities and we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.