HMP Peterborough are recruiting for an Art Tutor.
You will provide learners support to increase their Art level and pass a recognised Art qualification. You will be required to deliver accredited and non accredited courses. You will also plan, develop, implement and evaluate activities and appropriate courses, challenge negative behaviour and increase self-esteem with an aim to increase prisoners’ employability and reduce re-offending.
HMP Peterborough is the first purpose-built prison in the UK to house both men and women on the same site. This highly innovative prison is designed to a high standard of physical security. Sodexo Justice Services has ensured that the prison provides needs-based personal development services for both men and women. January 2015 saw the completion of a new houseblock on the male estate which can house an additional 292 residents, along with an educational activities building.
Sodexo Justice delivers custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within England, Scotland and Wales and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
· Work effectively and efficiently with the Learning & Skills and Education Manager to produce innovative and stimulating lessons for prisoners to encourage participation whatever level the prisoners are starting from
· Effectively plan courses and lessons by preparing and using schemes of work and lesson plans for all classes for the benefit of the learner as for evidence at inspection/lesson observations
· Ensure all relevant policies and procedures, such as Security, Health and Safety and Prisoner Welfare, are adhered to and take responsibility of the work area
· Identify the needs of individuals in classes and groups and develop differentiate teaching methods and resources accordingly
· Assist in any marketing strategies related to courses, delivery and training within normal work hours and out of normal work hours
· Monitor take-up of taught course and employ strategies to increase take-up to ensure maximum attendance
· Monitor attendance, achievement and progression of learners reporting any difficulties to your Line Manager
· Attend team meetings to evaluate progress and promote good practice and attend all staff meetings, which will include giving feedback on classes and ideas for development of teaching practice and the Department generally
· Establish a rapport with prisoners to encourage them to take their first steps in learning and achieve a recognised qualification
· Monitor quality control of work produced by prisoners to maintain standards required
· Contribute to course reviews and setting and monitoring action plans
· Meet agreed prison targets which will be identified in your PDR and reviewed regularly throughout the year.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.
The Ideal Candidate
· Full teaching qualification (Minimum of CTLLS) or PGCE
· Experience of delivering Art in the classroom
· Recognised Level 3 qualification or above in an identified subject and professional experience
· To have an interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders
· To have an ability to communicate effectively at all times through different mediums, including spoken and written communication.
· Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour
· Assessor or IV qualification is desirable. Must have a willingness to work towards these qualifications
· Experience in a prison environment
£23,000-£26,000 plus benefits including 28 hours holiday (inclusive of bank holidays),pension, discounted health cover, subsidised gym membership, childcare voucher scheme, free meals on duty and free on-site parking