• The Packaging Design Engineer plans and leads activities concerning with cost effective design and development of protective packaging for UPS products, ranging from retail to rack products.
Oversee and manage complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing.
· Broad knowledge in foldable corrugated cartons, pallets, foams, molded paper pulp cushions and other form of packaging.
· Broad knowledge packaging qualification burst test, edge crush test, box compression test, drop test, etc.
· Proficient knowledge in CAD engineering software (Creo, Solidworks, TOPS, Corel, etc)
· Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
· Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
· Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews.
· Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
· Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product management, operations, and sourcing.
· Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
· Work closely with Engineering to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization, standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements.
· Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs.
· Work with the manufacturing department to ensures that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
· Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds customer specifications.
Ideal candidate profile
• Candidate must possess a College Degree in Engineering major in Mechanical, Material Science or equivalent.
• With at least 5 years experience in a related function gained from a manufacturing environment or R & D.
• With work experience in packaging design with knowledge in rigid, flexible, foldable corrugated cartons, pallets, foams, molded paper pulp cushions and other form of packaging.
• Possess relevant background on wood, plastic, foams, and paper based products.
• Proficiency with various engineering softwares (i.e. solidworks, autocad, coreldraw, etc.)
• Strong communication, project management and problem solving skills.
• Excellent analytical skills to identify improvement areas and make proper recommendations. • Applicants must be willing to work in Cavite.