Date: Sep 18, 2018
Location: Oxford, OXF, GB
Accountant - 27228
Finance and Corporate Development - Great Britain Oxford, Oxfordshire
In more than 100 countries around the world including 47 European markets, Nielsen provides clients the most complete understanding of what consumers watch and buy.
Nielsen's Buy segment provides consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers with the most comprehensive view of the consumer through information and insights. Nielsen's Watch segment provides media and advertising clients audience measurement services across all devices — television, radio, online, mobile — where content is consumed.
Further information on the company can be found on our website:www.nielsen.com/uk/en.html .
The successful candidate will work within the UK finance function, specifically as a key member of the local general accounting team (EFS) and reporting to the Operational Controller within the team. The team is responsible for the integrity of the financial accounting and related compliance matters for the majority of the UK domiciled businesses. These responsibilities cover areas such as internal reporting, balance sheet integrity, banking, accounts payable and external reporting (audits, financial statements, taxation and other government reporting).
This role is a critical position within the team. The successful candidate will be given full responsibility for a UK legal entity as well as supporting several activities for the largest UK entity. A successful associate will achieve a balanced coordination of all core and continuous finance activities between the local environment and the Global and Regional organization. S/he will have met all controllership metrics and ensured solid controls are in place and functioning
The broader UK team includes associates based in a shared service centre in India and additional teams with responsibility over FP&A and Revenue. As part of a Global group all teams work closely within European and Market finance structures. The role will involve coordinating activities with onshore (UK), regional consolidation teams (Europe) and offshore (India) associates across finance functions.
· Support the local controllership function and lead the local Operational Controlling team; provide financial oversight on the local business
· Ensure adequate performance and reporting on the following by leveraging both onshore and offshore resources:
· US-GAAP accounting/closing, accruals, and account reconciliations
· Financial closing and consolidation
· Procure-to-pay functions (invoice & payment processing, T&E, etc)
· Intercompany transactions and reconciliation
· Support compliance with all relevant global, regional or local policies, procedures and guidelines
· Support change locally with regard to standardization and simplification initiatives as governed by the Global or Regional COE core teams or by Finance leadership
· Assist in producing monthly closing dashboard, and quarterly and year-end reporting packs in accordance with corporate requirements for the local market
· Support Operational Controller to maintain internal controls and SOX documentation and ensure effective control environment through active coordination with the Group Controller and the Global and Regional COE core teams
· Support the Operational Controller during local internal audit and compliance review assignments, including any SOX or distributed audits
· Assist with the maintenance of local statutory accounts and ensure ongoing compliance to local regulation for the local legal entities
· Assist in the statutory and tax accounting and audit processes and act as the single point of contact for external auditors and/or tax and statutory authorities or consultants
· Part or Fully qualified professional
· Knowledge of Hyperion Finance Management (HFM)
· Experience with Shared Service Centres
· Experience with Purchase Order processes
· Critical in a constructive manner
· Relevant professional experience in a medium to large international company
· Good level of English both verbal and written
· Team player
· Relevant professional experience in accounting or financial controlling
· External audit or public accounting experience preferred
· Knowledge and experience with local statutory requirements and statutory audits (Local GAAP, statutory financial statements, tax calculations, VAT returns and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) preferred)
· Experience with ERP systems (preferably SAP) preferred
· IT-PC literate (Google for Work, Microsoft Office)
· Strong communication skills, team player, leadership traits
*Internally this role is called an Associate Operational Controller
Nielsen N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen's Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Total Audience measurement services across all devices where content — video, audio, and text — is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry's only global view of retail performance measurement.
By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other data sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90 percent of the world's population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com