Horticulture within M&S is a key category and enjoys significant market share – this a great opportunity to take our plant category to the next level. With responsibility for both Houseplants and Outdoor plants, this is a varied role with high profile events as well as a seasonal ranges to manage, and resurgent interest from customers.
As an M&S buyer you will be the key person to drive the category forward. You will have full P&L responsibility, liaise and interact across multiple functions within the business (NPD, Supply chain, Forecasting, Technical etc.), manage supplier relationships, build future ranges, negotiate prices, understand customer needs, plan promotion and make sure you are delivering the strategy.
You will be accountable for many key decisions to make sure you keep the category moving in the right direction. Having a real passion for horticulture would be beneficial.
This is an exciting time to join the business and be part of a great team to deliver best in class products.
Key accountabilities and measures
· Drive sales and profit in line with operating plan budgets
· Drive market share performance
· Lead category buying team (buyer, product developer technologist, forecast planner) in delivery of commercial objectives
· Lead relationship with suppliers through effective commercial management
· Prepare and agree category plan with Management Team through analysis of customer insight, sales and trends
· Set effective range strategies to optimise selling format and product choice, understanding space requirements
· Set clear range and price architecture
· Ensure commercial strategy is in line with M&S key values and compliant to legal requirements
· Set effective promotional and marketing plan in line with Food Group plan
· Deliver targeted % of newness
· Drive efficiency improvements with supply base
· Compliance with the financial control process for Supplier contributions
· Decision making
· Commercial acumen and negotiation skills
· Strong communication and influencing skills
· Analysis of commercial and customer information to seize commercial opportunities
· Team working and effective people management
· Relationship building; stores and colleagues
· Management of suppliers & relationship
· Attention to detail