Our audit practice in Aberdeen is a centre of excellence for oil & gas, shown by the strength of our local client base in the city and the international work which is carried out by all grades of staff.
Our audit practice has increased its turnover by 50% over the past 4 years, and our team has increased in size by an equivalent amount. The team of 60 is made of up home grown Aberdeen talent and team members who have moved from the rest of Scotland and the UK, and internationally, to take advantage of the expertise and breadth of work on offer in Aberdeen.
Our oil & gas experience covers exploration and production operators and all parts of their supply chain, from drilling to subsea engineering. Our team is continuing to grow with the appointment of as auditors of the FTSE 250 listed Wood Group plc for the 2018 year-end audit.
And it’s not just about oil & gas our audit clients include public sector work (we audit both universities in the city and the Aberdeen City Council), property & construction and food & drink. Our clients range from listed entities, international groups and enterprise clients which are family owned or PE backed.
Our external audit work sits alongside internal audit engagements and other assurance reporting, providing further breadth of experience. Our local market is well defined, and there are increasing opportunities for all staff to get involved in business development.
The size of the office means early responsibility and a one firm approach to working with other functions is well established and there is a clear path for audit secondments to Aberdeen based corporate finance, transaction services and tax, as well as working on shared projects.
It also means we can be flexible, entrepreneurial, and can closely focus on each individual’s career objectives and promotion path.
An hour’s flight from London, Aberdeen faces forward with a three kilometre city beachfront and looks back towards the Cairngorms National Park. The lively but compact city centre means the office commute is typically a short walk. Having been recently noted as one of the cities with the highest job creation in the UK over the past 10 years, it really is the place to be for exciting career opportunities
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Planning and project managing all aspects of audits.
• Leading teams on the ground, reporting directly to the manager and partner on a day to day basis.
• Budgeting and monitoring the financial performance of projects, focusing on optimising profitability.
• Demonstrating practical knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS. US GAAP would also be a bonus.
• Report writing for Audit Committees and management Identifying, researching and helping to resolve complex audit issues.
• Supervising and coaching junior members of staff to help them realise their full potential.
• Building relationships with the client staff and acting as an ambassador for the firm.
• Keeping up to date with KPMG's product and service offerings and identifying the sales opportunities that will help us grow our business.
• Reporting to audit managers and partners on all salient points arising from audits.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Full CA, ACA, ACCA or other equivalent recognised international accountancy qualification essential
• Prior external audit experience gained in accountancy firm essential
• Strong IT literacy, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
• Good working knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS.
Experience and Background:
We think our people really stand out from the crowd. We are looking for equally exceptional people to join us, with the following skills and characteristics:
• Identifies and pursues business opportunities.
• Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work.
• Sustains a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work.
• Continuously learns from experiences.
• Seeks out feedback and development opportunities.
• Gives clear directions, positive and constructive feedback.
• Displays leadership skills and ability to act as a role model.
• Coaches less experienced staff.
• Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information.
• Builds the reputation of KPMG through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
• Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients (internal and external)
• Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.