The Legal Services team sits within KPMG Tax, Pensions and Legal and provides an integrated offering seamlessly combining market-leading tax and legal expertise with the latest technology.
The Legal Services team has core Corporate, Commercial, FS Regulatory, Employment and Immigration law teams, and a market leading Tax litigation team. We also have growing alternative legal services teams including Global Entity Management and Legal Operations and Transformation Services. Over the next few years, these teams will grow and Legal Services will expand into other areas of law that fit within its vision and the needs of KPMG’s clients.
KPMG is regulated by the SRA as a multidisciplinary practice.
KPMG also has a global legal services network bringing together 2,300 lawyers across 76 countries to offer local, regional and cross-border advice.
The UK Employment Legal Services Team comprises 8 lawyers who regularly work with a wide cross-section of the KPMG client-facing business. Key areas of focus include pay compliance topics such as gender pay and equal pay, national minimum wage and holiday pay as well as employment status, people aspects of business transformations and reorganisations and global employment law projects.
What KPMG Legal Services is looking for from its lawyers:
• Team players who enjoy working with people from different backgrounds and disciplines
• Approachable people who are keen to develop personally and professionally, and to assist with the development of junior team members
• Lawyers with a passion for the law
• Intellectually curious, open-minded and analytical people, with an eye for detail and pride in their work
• Driven, positive and proactive professionals who deliver a great service to their clients
• Relationship builders and innovators who can spot and develop new opportunities both within the KPMG network and externally
• Flexible people who are able to deal with a fluid, changing work environment
Why you might want to join KPMG Legal Services:
• You can see the advantages of professional advice being provided within a multidisciplinary team
• You are ambitious and perceive the wealth of opportunities presented by a start-up legal practice in a leading global professional services firm
• You want the opportunity to develop client relationships and KPMG’s legal services capabilities
• You want to broaden your experience and become a more rounded professional
• You are interested in exploring how technology can enhance how we work and add value to our client services
• You want to achieve a sustainable work-life balance
Experience and background
The applicant will be an employment lawyer with a good range of training experience.
The applicant must have a high level of technical employment law knowledge. Familiarity with contracts and policies, due diligence reporting, redundancy/reorganisation/TUPE transfers, employment status and holiday pay would be helpful. In addition, a successful applicant will have the ability to get up to speed quickly on esoteric areas and be keen to continue developing his/her legal skills and engage in new areas of work such as pay gap reporting and national minimum wage compliance. Strong project management skills are a must.
While consulting appropriately on difficult issues, he/she must be able to deliver robust and appropriate legal advice and exercise sound judgement.
The successful applicant will demonstrate experience of working with demanding clients across a wide spectrum of size and activities. He/she must be able to demonstrate sound client relationship and business development skills and a keenness to develop these skills further. The successful applicant will be expected to be part of building the existing business of the team and will build peer to peer relationships.
The successful applicant will help promote the team’s work through participating in team and firm events, giving internal and external presentations and producing expert articles for publications.
Education and Qualifications
It is expected that the successful applicant will be a qualified solicitor with between 0-4 years’ PQE and have trained at a reputable firm (but applicants with other suitable experience will also be considered). Strong academic, technical, drafting and personal skills are essential.