Finance Analyst –Infrastructure & Transport Consulting
Service Line Information
Using a wide variety of technical and sector-specific skills, KPMG's Risk Consulting group proactively helps clients increase profits whilst reducing reputational, operational, financial and other risks. We are experienced in managing diverse issues including fraud, regulatory compliance, risk frameworks and modelling, capital efficiency, corporate governance, dispute resolution, deriving value from contracts and much more.
Forensic - Using specialist accounting, investigation and business skills in assisting clients involved in commercial or regulatory disputes or in the investigation of fraud and impropriety. Working in the team will mean getting involved in a broad range of projects, i.e. Fraud investigations, and tracing assets.
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
We are looking for an assistant manager with a track record in financial forecasting and analysis to be a key member of our market leading transport advisory team.
KPMG’s dedicated transport advisory team provides specialist financial, commercial and strategic advice to the transport sector, focusing on the rail and bus markets in the UK and globally. We are currently experiencing an unprecedented amount of UK rail franchise bidding activity, where KPMG is the dominant provider of financial and commercial advice. Successful candidates would initially work on these bids, working as a member of KPMG finance teams supporting client teams to generate and challenge costs and revenues to underpin their business plan to run a rail franchise for the next 5-15 years.
There will also be opportunity to work on other projects in the department. Recent projects have included market studies for public sector transport contractors, business planning for rail infrastructure owners, contract bidding in liberalising overseas markets, financial due diligence on transactions across the rail industry value chain, contract mobilisations, and customer maturity model development for a rail operator. Depending on the department’s needs and your own goals, there may be opportunity to work with our wider AAS group on projects in public sector accounting including providing technical accounting advice, undertaking assurance activities, budget and forecast analysis, accounts production and carve-out activities.
- Providing specialised financial advice and support to transport clients, particularly around UK rail franchise bidding and on other business planning and commercial support projects with the land transport sector.
- Providing financial and commercial challenge to help clients develop robust and competitive bids and forecasts.
- Serving as a member of the KPMG team on rail franchise bids, supporting the finance workstream lead and leading sub-workstreams.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with both clients and KPMG individuals.
- Contributing to practice management, including thought leadership, business development activities and general practice development.
- Successful candidates are expected to become active members of KPMG’s wider transport network, developing sector knowledge to help grow the wider global transport practice.
- You will be required to undertake people management and development for more junior staff within a project.
- Engagement management.
- Please note that this role may include extensive travel within the UK (including staying away from home during the working week) and potentially travel outside of the UK.
Key skills and competencies:
- Qualified accountant (highly financially literate candidates who are not accountants will be considered if exceptional).
- Significant experience in financial planning or financial review (e.g. audit)
- Knowledge of the rail or bus industry is highly desirable, but not mandatory for strong candidates.
- Ability to motivate people.
- Willingness to learn and to try new things.
- Financial rigour, analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Interest in the UK rail or bus sector, and high-level understanding of key industry trends.
- Proven track record of being able to act on own initiative and be able to develop innovative solutions.
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we’re proud to offer our colleagues agile working options. We believe in putting you at the centre of your career – KPMG will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are. That’s why we introduced ‘Our Deal’ – it’s our way of saying ‘thank you’ for bringing your best to work. As part of ‘Our Deal’, you’ll benefit from a range of rewards from secondment opportunities and preferential banking services to a day off on your birthday and have open, honest conversations about your career development.
Our employees have many varied work schedules to suit their individual needs!
Our intelligent working options range from role sharing and flexible start and finish times, to home working and more informal arrangements agreed within teams.
Check out examples of KPMG employees enjoying different working patterns on our website and please do share your own individual requirements with us.
Applying with a Disability
As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring a great experience for colleagues with a disability. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any adjustments that you may require with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
We are proud of the value we place on individuality. We want you to bring your full self to work and maximise your potential. KPMG is a place where everyone can thrive, whatever their gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and socio-economic background.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies:Policy