The focus of the group is one of control. This particular position is in the EMEA Index Trading Middle Office. The business is highly complex and involves a variety of interest rate and Bond Index products. There is a strong operational discipline towards the management of the transaction cycle across the business and a great deal of effort is necessary to ensure tight controls.
The products range from the vanilla (interest rate swaps, swaptions etc ) to the highly complex variety (Bond Index, Excess Return, Equity release mortgages) and have significant operational risk. Furthermore, there is significant interaction with a variety of business partners (Finance, FO, Market Risk, Settlements, Confirms, Technology) in order to manage the operations front to back. Strong analytical thinking coupled with strong IT skills is required to follow the composition of P&L and risk, as well as ensure its completeness and accuracy. In addition, the ability to communicate complex matters in a clear and concise manner is essential whether dealing with the FO or when dealing with other support groups.
· To produce and explain daily P&L / Risk but also ensure its accuracy. The successful applicant should have a good understanding of the greeks and be able to explain their movements.
· To understand the cashflows associated with each trade and to work with the accounting and settlement teams to ensure that settlement is accurate and timely.
· To be able to identify areas of improvement and implement new procedures or to change existing process flows to ensure tight controls front to back.
· Build strong relationships across FO (traders and marketers), Accounting, Settlements and Technology
· Extremely detail oriented, with a strong knowledge of interest rate derivatives.
· Analytical and quantitative aptitude - it is essential to understand the "greeks" and be able to explain their movements
· Change Management : Adaptability to learn new tasks and demonstrate a willingness to understand the detail of a process.
· Control focused
· Understanding of the transaction flow: Ability to look at the overall process and explain it to others
· Time Management: Organization and prioritization of tasks, setting own deadlines and working to defined targets
· Technical skills : The daily tasks will involve using several applications as well as the standard desktop so must have an aptitude for this