JPMorgan Chase & Co. is a leading global financial services firm with assets of more than $2.4 trillion, over 250,000 employees and operations in over 60 countries. It operates across four business segments including Asset & Wealth Management, Corporate and Investment Banking, Commercial Banking and Consumer and Community Banking.
J.P. Morgan Asset & Wealth Management advises institutions, endowments, foundations and families through Asset Management and Wealth Management. Our Wealth Management business includes J.P. Morgan Private Bank, J.P. Morgan Securities and Chase Wealth Management.
The Institutional Strategy and Analytics (IS&A) function is responsible for developing robust quantitative investment strategies for clients and prospects using cutting edge optimisation techniques to identify portfolios that achieve the client’s unique objectives and constraints.
The IS&A team serve a wide range of institutional clients spanning insurance, pensions, endowments and foundations, sovereign wealth funds, banks and other corporate entities. The team is client facing and is embedded in the sales process to present investment strategies tailored to the requirements of clients spanning a wide range of asset classes across fixed income, equities, multi-asset solutions and alternatives.
There is also an important connection between IS&A and the portfolio management teams across all major asset classes. The IS&A team closely collaborate with investors to build new products and solutions that are tailored to meet the needs of institutional clients. In addition the team is responsible for implementing large scale optimisation models to build security level quantitative portfolio solutions customised to client objectives.
The team attracts top calibre quantitative specialists who are interested in working in a commercial environment with the opportunity to solve is highly quantitative challenging problems which have a direct impact on client outcomes.
Purpose of position :
Within Global Insurance Solutions and our wider institutional business, provide a thorough understanding of the investment needs of institutional clients. The candidate should have strong analytical skills developed through relevant studies at university (preferably an advanced degree), together with proven quantitative abilities, and a basic knowledge of finance / investment.
The IS&A team provide an important role in developing new client relationships and supporting existing business. The successful candidate will enjoy developing investment solutions using quantitative techniques and creating client presentations to communicate the proposed solution in a clear and understandable manner.
A unique aspect of the position is the hands-on nature of the projects within the IS&A team. The team uses a Matlab based modeling environment for a range of quantitative projects that will often utilize portfolio optimization techniques for solving large scale problems. For example, identifying an optimal mix of individual fixed income securities that minimize the regulatory capital requirements for a target level of return, and also satisfy close asset liability cashflow matching constraints. The IS&A team is structured so that junior strategists undertake model development under the supervision and direction of more experienced team members who act as project managers.
Overtime as the candidate develops their understanding of the insurance industry the role will naturally present opportunities to present to clients / prospects in a highly driven sales environment.
Main deliverables of the role include :
• Creation of modeling platforms and analytical capabilities – For example, assist in building and maintaining a framework to support client decision making incorporating tradeoffs between return relative to risk based capital, economic capital, accounting and tax considerations
• Completion of client advisory assignments – Analysis for clients, including initial scoping and interaction with clients, development of models to meet their needs, presentation of results, and incorporation of revisions/extensions as needed
• Development of intellectual capital – Produce high quality research/analysis in response to industry needs and present research to clients or at conferences
• Resourcefulness – Able to quickly form relationships and develop a key network of contacts to source information
• Independence – Must be comfortable initiating projects and working under limited direction
Qualifications/Experience Required :
• Advanced degree in a quantitative/analytical field such as mathematics, physics, computer science, economics, statistics, or engineering
• Ability to formulate appropriate and tractable mathematical/statistical models for our clients' investment/risk management needs, implement these models using Matlab or other systems, and create output that is useful for presenting results to clients
• Programming experience in the context of implementing numerical methods and quantitative problem solving
• Knowledge of basic asset classes (e.g., corporate bonds, RMBS, emerging market equity) and their risk/return and cash flow characteristics
All candidates should possess several (though not necessarily all) of the following:
• Knowledge of basic investment management concepts, such as CAPM, APT, efficient frontiers, passive vs active management, VaR, etc
• Good understanding of the principles of mathematical finance
• Background with linear and non-linear programs as applied to portfolio optimization and capital management (including the formulation of problems, development of constraints, and use of software to solve these problems)
• Strong written communication skills, including the ability to prepare high quality presentation materials for clients
• Ability to articulate complex investment strategies/processes in a clear and concise manner and comfort in interacting with clients during meetings and over the phone
• Knowledge of statistical, time series, machine learning concepts such as multiple regression, maximum likelihood estimation, ARIMA models, extreme value theory, hypothesis testing
• Basic knowledge of stochastic processes such as Brownian motion, Markov chains, and stationary processes
JPMorgan Chase & Co. offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer .