Volunteer Administration Intern
HOST is a charity which promotes international friendship and cultural exchange by arranging for adult international students, who are currently studying in the UK, to spend a day or weekend in British homes of volunteer hosts.
HOST is looking for a Volunteer Administration Intern to work in our Hatfield office from early to mid-July. We would like to give suitable candidates the opportunity to gain valuable experience in administration whilst helping our charity thrive.
Title: Volunteer Administration Intern
Location: Hatfield, Hertfordshire
Working in the HOST office, you will:
• Be available for 3-5 days a week (Monday to Friday) for 3-6 months from 10.00 am – 4.30 pm (with a half-hour lunch break).
• Have your expenses and lunch allowance paid
• Support the CE and staff members with all administrative tasks such as replying to queries, updating information on the database, occasional research – you will become familiar with Outlook and the HOST database.
• Take your turn on the reception desk, answering the telephone and taking messages.
• Deal directly by phone, email and occasionally in person, with international students, volunteer Regional Organisers and volunteer hosts, university officers, the general public and any other enquirers – you will learn to deal diplomatically with a wide variety of people, to communicate with people whose first language is not English, to receive and give information efficiently, and to keep records of conversations.
• Be given your own projects to work on – you will learn how to manage and organise your workload, and to set and work to deadlines.
• As required, perform office tasks to support the work of the Regional Organisers – including printing, photocopying, making up information packs, giving IT support.
• Assist with any other ad hoc exercises.
• Contribute pro-actively to all aspects of HOST’s work.
• Assist with some basic marketing support, including research and mail-outs
• A strong grasp of written and spoken English is essential.
• Basic to good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Excel and Word.
• Time management
• Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people of different backgrounds
• Comfortable working both alone and as part of a small team
CV and interviews. Deadline to apply: midday, 18th June 2018. Candidates will ideally start in early to mid-July following a successful interview.
To apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter.