We are seeking motivated, innovative, skilled and enthusiastic computational biology analysts to join our expanding team within the Human Genetics department. At the core of GSKs R&D approach is the identification of new medicines by focusing on ways to modulate the immune system, leveraging the vast amounts of human genetic data now being generated and applying cutting edge technologies in functional genomics and machine learning.
Within the Human Genetics team, we leverage scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms and integration of biological pathway and functional genomics data to identify novel targets with a high degree of human genetic validation. We continue to evaluate these targets throughout their life in the drug discovery and development pipeline, using genetics and genomics to identify the patients that are most likely to benefit and biomarkers to select these patients and assess efficacy.
The successful candidates will work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and scientifically driven environment, interacting with GSK scientists and external collaborators to advance drug discovery and clinical development. This field-leading research addresses important drug discovery and development challenges, directly impacts GSK's R&D pipeline, and publishes results in top scientific journals.
Selected candidates will:
• Develop and apply computational approaches to translate human genetic evidence to inform target selection and validation decisions across a range of disease areas.
• Participate in cross-functional project teams with GSK scientists and external collaborators.
• Find creative solutions and work with agility to address challenging scientific questions.
• Contribute to the developing science of drug target identification and validation, providing scientific expertise within Human Genetics and across the Research organisation.
Closing date for applications: August 2nd 2019
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
• PhD or equivalent experience in computational biology, bioinformatics or biomedical/biological sciences.
• Experience working with genetic and/or genomic data.
• Strong coding skills in R and/or Python, and a good working knowledge of common bioinformatics databases, resources and tools.
• Sound understanding of statistics and biological concepts, coupled with data science skills to collect, integrate, mine and analyse complex biological data and translate them into testable hypotheses.
• Demonstrated skills working in teams to find creative ways to address scientific questions.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills for working with multidisciplinary teams and with international colleagues.
• Application of pathway and network analysis methodology to address scientific questions.
• Experience analysing complex biological data, including analysis and integration of multi-omics data for disease research.
• Publication record in peer reviewed journals.
Why GSK? :
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
Sustaining energy and well-being.
Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.