Access Services Broadcast Technician
Ericsson is a world-leading provider of telecommunications equipment & services to mobile & fixed network operators. Over 1,000 networks in more than 180 countries use Ericsson equipment, & more than 40 percent of the world's mobile traffic passes through Ericsson networks.
Ericsson Broadcast and Media Services (EBMS) is a global managed services provider, working with the strongest media brands on the planet, bringing audiences and content closer together. We have over 2,500 broadcast specialists; including a global broadcast technology, engineering and solutions team, who are responsible for the end-to-end design of its facilities. We have an outstanding track record in the most complex and demanding broadcast environments, such as live sports coverage combined with live commercial insertion
We welcome the opportunity to meet you!
Broadcast Systems Engineers provide system support and maintenance for Access Services (Subtitling, Audio Description and BSL Interpretation services). Broadcast Systems Engineers are responsible for liaising directly with the customer, assuming ownership of issues through to resolution, carrying out the diagnosis and solving of all technical issues, and escalating to and liaising with other Broadcast Systems Engineers, IT Systems Manager and the other EBMS Engineering teams where necessary.
Broadcast Systems Engineers are required to:
· Work within Service Management based processes, continually striving to improve their performance and the team’s.
· Communicate and problem solve effectively, working to ensure that Access Services meet their client objectives, avoid Service Credits and ensure that the Access Services Technology team consistently deliver a professional service.
· Work as part of a team and will work to an agreed shift rota, which will include early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays. Occasional travel and overnight work may be required.
· Establish a firm understanding of the Access Services business within EBMS so they are able to provide effective support.
· In conjunction with the AS Tech Team Leader, prioritise workload according to operational criticality, and ensure a professional approach is presented at all times, especially when under operational pressure.
Reporting Lines and Key Relationships
Broadcast Systems Engineers – Access Services report to and are line managed by the AS Tech Team Leader. They will be expected to form good relationships with cross platform support staff and operational staff as it will frequently be necessary to liaise with them in relation to ongoing incidents and problems. They should provide coaching to newer and less experienced staff.
· Assist in the roll out of new hardware, software and software updates to the separate disciplines / Client Services of Access Services.
· Devise ways of achieving the needs of the operation by means of technical innovation and development.
· Identify potential system failures and weaknesses and proactively advise management, giving recommendation for course of action.
· Identify trends and escalate to IT Systems Manager – Access Services.
· Critically assess technical quality and performance, extracting and analysing system logs where available and escalating to IT Systems Manager – Access Services to progress where necessary.
· Carry out routine maintenance work as defined and agreed with the IT Systems Manager – Access Services.
· Maintain comprehensive records and logs of work done, on the installation, modification and repair of systems, following appropriate change control for all non break/fix planned work.
· Prioritise work taking into account service level agreements with stakeholders/customers and transmission requirements, seeking guidance from IT Systems Manager – Access Services and the other Broadcast Systems Engineers during demanding times.
· Ensure performance specifications are met and maintain the technical standards and parameters of the equipment and systems within their care. This will include ensuring that approved change controlled modifications are carried out as required.
· Provide support to users whose first language is not English, working on systems that are not in English.
· Provide support for Access Services live and prepared work across all Access Service Disciplines, which consists of over 350 users based over 10 sites and home working.
• · Implement ITIL service management, with particular focus on Incident, Problem, Change Control and Configuration management policies and processes.
· Create and update Incident and Problem records in the Service Management tool (Altiris) ensuring accuracy and data quality at all times.
· Respond to customer incidents and alerts generated by monitoring systems. Proactively diagnose and resolve issues with the supported systems within agreed SLAs.
· Work closely with operational and business staff and other departments to ensure that service delivery needs are effectively and efficiently met.
• · An understanding of Platform related 3rd party supplier Service Level Agreements, ensuring they are escalated to when needed.
· An understanding of the internal suppliers to Access Services and their Operational Level Agreements, liaising with them and escalating issues as and when necessary.
• · Focus on delivering excellent customer service and customer quality.
Tech Support Team/HR:
• · Provide verbal and written shift handovers in a standard format.
· Review open incidents, dealing with them in an effective and efficient manner, providing timely feedback to customers and progressing incidents within Altiris appropriately.
· Write reports on technical or operational matters.
· Provide 1st line of response for all local Access Service Technology related issues.
· Contribute to the training and awareness of new staff.
· Undertake work as necessary to ensure that the requirements of statutory and EBMS Media safety regulations are met.
· Participate in team meetings/briefings.
Experience and Knowledge
• Microsoft Operating Systems.
· A range of the following experience and knowledge areas is also required:
· UNIX / Linux Operating Systems.
· A good understanding of networking technologies.
· Experience of providing remote support.
· The ability to use and update formalised knowledge management systems.
· Audio / video equipment
· An understanding of different database technologies.
· Experience of a broadcast media environment.
· Skills and Behaviour
• · Good interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise effectively at all levels and to varied audiences in English.
· Ability to work as an effective member of a team, but also capable of carrying out tasks unsupervised.
· Strong understanding of customer service with the ability to view systems in terms of service provision rather than discrete technical components.
· Ability to organise and prioritise work to ensure deadlines are met
· Understand and follow EBMS defined change management processes.
· Appreciate the unique nature of a live broadcast environment.
· Ability to work under pressure
· A desire to acquire the depth of understanding in Access Service technology/environment and workflows used to enable efficient support of the operation.
· Any French or Spanish, even to a basic level, would be an advantage
Technical Skills - with the methodologies, operational and manual skills relevant to the work of EBMS Technology Support.
Flexibility and Innovation - the ability to adapt to new situations and devise improvements to current situations. Can demonstrate the ability to apply skills and experience to new problems and areas of research.
Analytical Thinking - capability of original thinking, an enquiring mind with established analytic investigative skills. An ability to make judgement necessary to choose the best solutions to engineering problems.
Organisation and Planning - time and resource management skills to develop appropriate methods of working to meet the demands of the role.
Working with others - the ability to work co-operatively and supportively with others.
Self-development and Self-motivation - working continuously and proactively to develop the knowledge and skills required.
Communication Skills - the ability to give and receive information in order to further knowledge and understanding and to present and promote our work.
Commitment and Resilience - taking ownership of work problems and maintaining a high level of performance in the face of pressure. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: United Kingdom (GB) || || Ealing || IT
Job details: ICT Technician Job Stage 03