Who we are:
We have an exciting opportunity for a London-based Legal Counsel to join and support the UK activity of the ENGIE Business Unit, Global Energy Management.
Who we are:
ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With approximately 153,090 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of ENGIE's Business Units serves all ENGIE activities globally as well as providing energy management services to its clients. GEM offers services in power asset management, energy transition, energy supply, risk management and market access.
GEM manages one of the largest and most diversified energy portfolios in Europe, including electricity, natural gas, bulk commodities and environmental products.
With 8 trading platforms (Brussels, Bucharest, Houston, London, Madrid, Paris, Rome and Singapore) and activities in more than 50 countries, GEM has an extended geographical coverage in Europe, Asia-Pacific and in the US. It employs approximately 1,400 people around the world.
GEM UK is one of the Business Platforms within GEM and is active in the UK gas and power market. The activities of GEM UK are rapidly expanding and include:
· the provision of products and services to existing counterparties in the ENGIE portfolio
· trading arrangements and market access services to external clients
· acting as offtaker under power purchase agreements for renewable assets (solar, onshore wind, offshore wind)
· Commodity value trading
GEM LEGAL & REGULATION is a department of approximately 40 lawyers supporting the activities of GEM worldwide. The legal department consists of six sub-teams, including the team European Countries, Turkey & Middle East which is composed of those lawyers supporting the local country platforms of GEM, including the UK. The lawyers act as key players in project and negotiation teams to support GEM's business origination by drafting, structuring and negotiating contracts and generally providing legal advice in respect of the range of business activities.
GEM UK is looking for a lawyer to support its expanding business in the UK which includes trading of energy commodities, financial derivate contracts, risk management services and energy transition contracts including corporate power purchase agreements.
The successful candidate will deal with a wide range of domestic and international counterparties, while also working with related departments within GEM to structure transactions and manage legal risks from origination phase to closing. It will be necessary to gain a broad understanding of the markets in which GEM UK operates and the products and services offered.
The main roles and accountabilities would be:
· Draft, review, negotiation and management of:
· Master trading agreements (i.e. EFET, ISDA) in respect of the trading of various commodities and their derivatives (i.e. power, gas, CO2)
· Long and medium-term bespoke energy commodity origination (particularly PPAs) or supply contracts
· Other energy contracts (i.e. brokerage contracts, hedging services contracts, gas storage and transportation contracts, tolling agreements, intra-group contracts, gas origination contracts)
· Pre-transactional documents, e.g., pitch and tender documents, marketing documents, confidentiality agreements, term sheets, etc.
· Credit management documentation (e.g. netting agreements, credit support annexes, letters of credit and guarantees)
· Conduct regulatory and other due diligence, review and advise on credit support, legal opinions and other conditions precedent relevant for GEM's contracts and services
· Liaise with and draft legal analyses for internal governance purposes such as business committee and board approvals
· Report activities to head of GEM Legal and ENGIE Group level
· Address legal and regulatory developments relating to trading of energy commodities in regulated markets, provide training on topical issues to GEM colleagues and attend internal and industry conferences and forums
· Provide legal support in relation to contractual event-driven issues such as events of default, covenant breaches, force majeure, waivers, acceleration and enforcement
· Carry out formalities and operations required for corporate matters and governance for legal entities under English law
· Develop practice notes and assist with policy and guidelines formulation and improve and develop standard clauses and templates
· Advise on and execute the implementation of the amendment of commercial, financial or energy market regulation in GEM's products and services
· Monitor and advise on UK regulatory developments impacting the activity of GEM UK
· Appoint and supervise external counsel
The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to take part in the ongoing initiatives and projects launched within GEM Legal & Regulation or more generally within GEM.
Education and professional background:
· a law degree with a strong academic record and professional qualification
· strong drafting skills in English (French is a + but not a must)
· a qualified lawyer with a minimum of 2-4 years experience in private practice or in-house experience in a relevant institution
· excellent technical and commercial skills
· an intellectual curiosity and hunger to learn
· experience in the energy industry and/or negotiation of energy products and services
· technical and legal (and other) risk awareness skills
· commercial understanding and strong judgement on legal risk
· transaction and project management skills
· strong interpersonal and communication skills
· confident, able and quick to learn
· working effectively as part of a team
· producing results in a fast-paced, often pressurised environment
· Posting Date: Oct 27, 2020