Who we are:
ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With 153,090 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE achieved revenue of €66.6 billion in 2016. ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of ENGIE's Business Units. We deliver services in supply and logistics management, asset management, risk management, market access management, while contributing to the market understanding, design and efficiency and developing market solutions to accelerate the energy transition.
GEM manages one of the largest and most diversified energy portfolios in Europe, including electricity, natural gas, bulk commodities and environmental products.
With 5 trading platforms and activities in more than 50 countries, GEM has an extended geographical coverage in Europe, Asia-Pacific and in the US. It employs 1,300 people around the world.
GEM has already expertise in hydro management, amongst other hydro assets of ENGIE in Belgium (1000MW), in the UK (2000MW), in the Pyrenees and supports the development of other hydro activities of the Group. The hydro portfolio under management will significantly increase starting mid 2020 with 1700MW of hydro assets in Portugal.
As additional context, in addition to the future Portuguese hydro assets, the GEM team based in Madrid optimises a significant portfolio in the Iberian market (e.g. CCGTs, hydro assets in Spain, wind and solar farms, etc.).
In this scope, we are currently looking for one or several Hydro Optimizer in Madrid. The mission of the hydro optimizer will be a rich mix of operational activities performed in shift (accounting for half of the workload : forecast, optimise and hedge the hydro asset production on different markets) and projects shared between the different team members (such as automation/improvement of tools and processes, methodological improvements, support to valuation/pricing of new contracts/acquisitions).
As Hydro Optimiser your role will be to manage hydro assets across all maturities (50%), i.e. :
· Have a deep understanding of the hydro assets and their specificities; make sure they are properly modelled
· Support short to medium term optimisation (from day ahead to 3 years ahead)
· Send production plans to the physical dispatch teams
· Ensure continuous communication to and from physical dispatch teams
· Define the bidding strategies on the power exchanges to make an optimal day ahead planning ensuring a physical balance, in line with agreed longer term strategies
· Ensure at all times to capture the positions, understanding of P&L and appropriate reporting
· Respect contractual, regulatory and compliance framework in order to avoid any penalties
On top of these activities, you will contribute for around 50% to projects around:
· The design and development of innovative solutions for hydro management (optimisation tools, stochastic modelling, bidding strategies definition, hydro and inflow modelling, risk management through options, etc.)
· Support to revision planning or other hydro valuations
· Help on the risk mandate execution, hedging strategies definition
· Participate to projects related to development of hydro activities, internal to Engie or external, including commercial or business development
· The harmonisation, convergence, automation of activities in GEM
· Intellectually challenging job
· A diversified mix of operational and development activities
· Autonomy and possibility to take responsibilities
· A great , dynamic, innovative and diversified team
· A one-shop to learn about portfolio and risk management, operations on all maturities, contractual complexities, direct customer relationship, pricing for third parties… all within a small team with an end-to-end view of the activity
Work location & travels:
Being based in Madrid, with short travels to Brussels and Portugal
Education and professional background:
· Master's degree in quantitative discipline (Engineering, computer science, physics, finance, etc.) Hard skills:
· Good understanding of energy markets
· Proficiency with IT tools
· Ready to take part in a rotating on duty system during office hours on week-ends and bank holidays Soft skills:
· A structured and analytical personality with a hands-on and positive attitude
· Ability to take initiatives and to operate in a demanding and fast changing environment
· Team player and good communication skills Languages:
· Fluent in English and Portuguese
· Posting Date: Apr 7, 2020