ENGIE is growing in Brazil and we are looking for talented and motivated people to join our team in order to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity and help us meeting the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Company: ENGIE BRASIL PARTICIPAÇÕES
As an international energy provider, ENGIE structures its activities around the three key sectors of electricity, natural gas and energy services. ENGIE provides its customers with high-technology solutions in response to their needs and to meet the energy challenges of tomorrow ( www.engie.com ). ENGIE is structured around 24 business units, including Brazil.
Our local subsidiary, listed on the local stock exchange as Engie Brazil Energia (EGIE3), has been operating in Brazil for over 20 years and has developed the country´s largest privately held generation portfolio. Once exclusively dedicated to the implementation and operation of large power plant projects, Engie Brazil Energia has expanded its activities to include the development of transmission lines and the installation of distributed solar systems (roof-top panels). In addition, ENGIE group is also rapidly growing a portfolio of innovative energy efficiency solutions (HVAC, cogeneration, energy/utility consumption monitoring, telemetry, public lighting, urban mobility) which are being successfully deployed in cities, communities, and industrial/commercial areas. Finally, ENGIE also has the ambition to be an actor of reference in the local gas market, covering gas transportation, distribution and biogas ( www.engie.com.br ). In 2019, ENGIE successfully entered into the gas transportation business with the strategic acquisition of TAG, which operates over 4500 km of gas transportation network.
As a token of ENGIE´s worldwide dedication to a sustainable and harmonious development, ENGIE has recently been ranked “Industry Leader” in the Multi and Water Utilities sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index World and Europe.
Role: Business Developer/M&A
The Business Development and M&A function in ENGIE is a dynamic and fast-paced group seeking to originate, seek, execute and implement new business opportunities for the group that are fully harmonized with the over group´s growth aspirations and targets. At the same time the function also requires sound local know how to seize BU-specific opportunities and evaluate their relative attractiveness. As mentioned earlier, the Business Development and M&A function works across all major technologies and sectors that ENGIE is active in. The type of projects and underlying technology(ies) are extremely varied, ranging from power generation (wind, solar, gas, biomass) to gas transportation/distribution, energy efficiency BOTs/PPPs, greenfield/brownfield projects, buy-side or sell-side M&As, negotiated deals/public tenders, etc. – offering a challenging and stimulating work environment to the potential candidate, with plenty of opportunities to develop him/herself professionally. The analyst thus will have the chance to not specialize only in e.g. renewables, services or infrastructure but to see a variety of businesses and technologies. This will require being fast-learning, curious, self-staring and independent.
The Analyst will report to the VP of M&A / Business Development. Supervision and guidance will be given by the VP or another senior or manager of the area.
The main responsibility of M&A / Business Development Analyst, include, amongst others:
· Developing a critical understanding of the business which is being assessed, its main revenue and cost drivers, areas of risk and opportunities and competitive levers
· Support the investment process and internal approvals including preparation of memos, presentations and approval documents for various levels of investment approvals and committees, respectively
· Understand the regulation, market mechanics and competitive landscape of the business
· Identify, document and evaluate key risks and opportunities of the business at hand and understand the key value drivers of the proposed transaction or development project
· Support the area to evaluate different structuring options with impacts on tax, accounting and/or financial or risk position of the company
· Support and contribute to area wide efforts and reporting requirements (e.g. monthly BD report, BD meetings etc.)
· Support the overall coordination and organization of the development process including pacesetting, project organization, timeline development of the overall development process
Business Development and M&A
· Support all activities for buy- or sell-side M&A processes including development and coordination of internal approvals, preparing presentations to internal and external stakeholders, potential equity partners and lenders (support role for financing team), organizing data rooms, Q&A logs, process letters as well as supporting the overall bid or sell-side strategy
· Discus and help develop and document the base case and alternative assumptions with team members involved in the project, especially the AIFA (Acquisitions, Investments and Financial Advisory) team, which is responsible for the financial model
· Support in the negotiation and structuring of the project and key project documents including but not limited to share purchase agreements, partnership agreements (e.g. investment agreement, shareholder agreement, joint bidding agreements, memorandum of understanding, NDAs, term sheets etc.) and/or organic transaction agreements (e.g. EPC, construction agreement, guarantees, advisor mandates, development agreements, concessions, PPAs etc.)
· Data mining (looking for available information, comparable transactions, market information, publicly available information, analysts´ reports etc.) to help forming the base case and key sensitivities
· Conducting and executing due diligence and review of financial and technical data
· Execute and monitor cost control and development budget with periodic reporting to the relevant committees
· Coordinating input sheets with the AIFA team, ensuring consistency and trackability of the inputs and potential lead in calculations (e.g. O&M cost built up model, capex planning and disbursement curves, revenue development and growth etc.). This also includes to work with AIFA team to understand the financial models / financial projections based on such assumptions
· Support the AIFA and finance team to be able to execute potential financing including but not limited to coordinating and helping bank due diligence, data room organization and maintenance, coordination of expert meetings and Q&A logs and help making our structure and arrangements bankable
It is typically expected that the candidate will meet or exceed the following requirements:
Characteristics, Attitudes and Mindset
· Outstanding analytical skills
· Outstanding interpersonal skills
· Self-starter, curious and self-motivating team player
· Hard-working, direct, resilient and proactive, but humble, respectful and caring
· Ability to plan his/her work and to multi-task, sometimes under pressure or tight deadlines
· Inquisitive mindset, with an interest to go beyond the assignments which are being given to expand his/her horizon
· A structured approach to analyzing problems and challenges
· A results-oriented team player
· Interest in working in (sometimes multi-cultural) project teams, with internal and external stakeholders
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely (orally and in writing)
· Proficiency in the use of MS Office tools
· Strong understanding of MS-Excel and its functions (prior experience in developing and maintaining MS-Excel-based financial models is a plus)
· Sound understanding of valuation and finance concepts (e.g. valuation, CAPM, DCF, FCFE, interest rates, FX etc.) and (corporate) financing (e.g. DCM, ECM) is expected. Good understanding of the practical aspects of accounting and tax matters is a plus.
· Good understanding of the power sector (generation, transmission, trading), the gas sector (transportation, distribution), energy services business or the PPP/Infrastructure model is a plus
Desired Education / Experience
· Education: degree in economics, finance, business administration or engineering.
· Previous experience in a M&A, Business Development or Financial role (e.g. valuation, FP&A, Finance) or Corporate Development/Banking or Consulting (e.g. investment bank, consultancy firm, private equity fund or corporation in the Power or Infrastructure Sector)
· The Financial Analyst will report to the VP of M&A / Business Development
· The role is located in Rio de Janeiro at ENGIE headquarter
· Punctual travel may be required locally and internationally, usually for periods not exceeding a couple of days to a week
Fluency in Portuguese and English is required
· Posting Date: Aug 5, 2020