· Job Description:
Resolves complex issues related to the coordination, control, design, support, and operation of specialized components of a network whether data, voice or video such as Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs), and voice systems. Plans, configures, tests, maintains, troubleshoots and tunes complex network infrastructure such as routers, switches, gateways, firewall systems, multi-function switches, end offices, signaling transfer points, private branch exchange (PBX), voice mail, call management system (CMS) and network security devices.
Essential Job Functions
· Leads and coordinates the maintenance of complex data, voice or video network hardware and systems; investigates and resolves complex network and hardware matters of significance; researches, analyzes, isolates and resolves errors; assesses and evaluates current and future systems.
· Provides technical support and guidance on network design issues. Provides problem resolution of complex problems to less experienced personnel.
· Evaluates and tests data, voice or video networking technologies to establish their potential use. Designs appropriate testing routines or scripts; may conduct more complex testing to meet specified requirements.
· Designs, implements and maintains more complex LAN, WAN, or Voice Systems in accordance with specified requirements.
· Analyzes data, voice or video network documentation and assists in communicating to management regarding the current operational status of networks.
· Determines methods and procedures for new data, voice or video technologies to ensure performance. Determines approach for customer, based on assessment of customer needs.
· Provides consultation, support and guidance to organizations and clients. May develop and conduct training as needed or appropriate. Participates in discussions regarding project decisions and project direction at the executive level. Manages client expectations and balances the needs of organization and client to ensure satisfaction for all relevant parties. Participates in proposal efforts and sales calls to ensure product meets client specifications.
· Prepares proposal documentation and information to meet customer requirements. Recommends data, voice or video network investment decisions to management and customers based on results of independent assessment of current and future network performance, stability, and network management issues.
· Performs cost analyses and vendor comparisons to ensure cost-effective and efficient operations; measures feasibility of various approaches, makes recommendations as appropriate.
· Provides leadership and work guidance to less experienced personnel.
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, management information systems, or related field preferred
· Nine or more years of experience in data, voice or video networks
· Experience working with multiple technical platforms (e.g., mainframe, two-tiered client-server, three-tiered client-server) and at least two network systems (e.g., Novell, Windows NT)
· Experience working with network systems, networking principles, data, voice or video
· Experience working with network software and hardware, data, voice or video
· Experience working with proprietary software and hardware
· Possess Department of Defense (DoD) security access and/or DoD security clearance
· Good network performance modeling or benchmarking skills
· Skilled in time, priority and task management
· Interpersonal skills to interact with customers and team members
· Good communication skills to interact with team members and support personnel
· Good leadership skills to guide and mentor the work of less experienced personnel
· Ability to anticipate problems, resolve ambiguity and take decisive action
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Good ability to analyze and solve complex problems using analytical and creative problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of networks
· Ability to convey a strong presence, professional image, and deal confidently with complex technical problems
· Willingness to travel
· Office environment
· May require on-call work
· May require weekend or shift work