Deliveroo is a multi-award-winning, international food business and one of the most successful recent growth technology companies to come out of the UK. Deliveroo was founded in London in 2013 by friends Will Shu and Greg Orlowski, a pair of Americans working in the UK, frustrated by the lack of delivery options for quality restaurants this side of Atlantic. They decided to set up a service connecting restaurants, consumers and their own Deliveroo riders. Will, our CEO, quickly saw that the unusually high urban density of European cities would work to Deliveroo’s advantage because the company could deliver a high volume of orders on push-bikes and scooters within a restricted area – and ensure the food would be hot and delicious when it arrived. Deliveroo is the result of an ambition to get great restaurants closer to their customers.
Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way customers eat, just as Spotify has for music and Airbnb has for travel. A key ingredient of our success is having the best selection of popular restaurants to choose from. Whether people want a pad Thai in the evening, a salad at lunch, or freshly scrambled eggs for breakfast – we’ve got it covered. By constantly innovating and expanding, Deliveroo offers the best choice and the best convenience. Our aim is to bring great food direct to customers as fast as possible, in less than 30 minutes, supported by real-time, live updates.
The emphasis on individual freedom is key to how we manage the challenges of scaling up so fast. Our philosophy is to give everyone a sense of ownership over their own work, and lots of scope for creativity in how they achieve their business objectives. The level of autonomy and accountability expected for this role makes this ideal for an “entrepreneurial”, commercially-minded HR Business Partner who brings a strong mix of strategic thinking and execution skills. You will obsess about continuously raising the bar through hiring, developing, motivating and engaging outstanding, talented people to drive the business forward.
This is a fascinating point at which to join an already successful business in a fast-growing, evolving market, leveraging a proven model, great brand, outstanding people, considerable financial firepower and a strongly supportive management team, to help the company realise its potential.
Key responsibilities include:
· Translate business strategy into concrete People plans in partnership with Tech leadership to create a culture where outstanding talent thrives
· Create Build, Buy, Borrow, Resolve Plans to increase and develop capability:
· Build: deploy development solutions; including designing/implementing tailored solutions, coaching or additional technical training
· Buy: build recruitment plan with identified channels to source & pipeline talent, partner with managers to ensure they are skilled & capable for interviewing and to ensure diverse top talent are selected, onboard and engaged for the right job. Strong partnership with the recruitment team to execute.
· Borrow: identify short-term capability needs to be filled with appropriate resource
· Resolve: upgrade capability where appropriate via strong performance management
· Devise and implement solutions aligned to talent and workforce plans to meet the career development needs of employees and business performance objectives
· Partner and coach managers on how to create the very best environment for employees, including performance management, feedback, development, total compensation and managing ER issues accordingly
· Use data, metrics and internal/external trends to provide leaders with insights to inform business decisions, organisational structure and targeted initiatives
· Lead and support wider people team to build central solutions
· Drive a proactive approach to company people agenda
· Ensure diversity of talent bench and leadership team
· Experience in HR business partnership with Tech, engineering or Tech First organisation
· Natural high intellect and quickness of thought to understand and dissect complex and evolving opportunities
· Track record of successfully partnering with Tech teams in a fast moving, consumer-facing, technology-led environment
· Experience mentoring and developing talent to rapidly achieve growth goals
· Makes prompt, clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered risks
· Takes initiative acts with confidence and works under own direction
· Comfortable with high-pressure situations and fast deadlines
· Builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organisation
· Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating
· Produces workable solutions to a range of problems via robust root cause analysis
· Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
· Personal resilience to tackle challenges and opportunities relentlessly
· Team orientated at all times, with excellent interpersonal skills, down to earth and fun to work with each day