Acetyls Mechanical Technician
The Acetyls Business Unit is one of the business units making up the Petrochemicals Strategic Performance Unit, within the Downstream Segment. It is a business engaged in the entire value chain from manufacturing through to marketing and sales. The Acetyls BU is one of the world's leading manufacturers of acetic acid and its derivatives, and owns & deploys its leading technology in Europe, Asia and US.
BP Hull Site is the European manufacturing facility for the Acetyls Business Unit and is of significant strategic importance to the Global Business, with a focus on Manufacturing Petrochemicals as well as Research & Technology.
The European Acetyls market is forecast to grow steadily over the next few years and the business is committed to a growth agenda to capture a substantial portion of this market growth. Our core product range is Acetic Acid and Acetic Anhydride.
United Kingdom - North East - Hull
Is this a part time position?
· To execute all tasks assigned to them by their supervisor safely, to the required quality and within the expected time. This covers the full range of investigation/troubleshooting, planned repair scopes, preventative and predictive maintenance, and the installation of new equipment;
· Seek technical or safety related guidance through the line whenever necessary, and stop the job if unsafe or unsure;
· To carry out tasks as defined by their core trade (Mechanical, Instrument, Electrical, HV, Analyser);
· To carry out any task in addition to their core trade where they have the required competence e.g. Lifting and slinging, pipefitting. Some trades will be given specific dual trade training e.g. Mechanical trades will be required to become competent in slinging and lifting;
· Escalate technical support, if required, through the line (Supervisor, followed by Maintenance
· Planner then Asset Engineer);
· Assist in the punch-out and BP acceptance of work performed by other BP staff or contractors;
· Develop building craftsman competence, and multi-discipline permit acceptance for more complex tasks;
· Achieve “building craftsman” status if required;
· Maintain awareness of procedures, rules and regulations that apply to their discipline's
· Carry out high quality job reporting through SAP failure reporting, lessons learned (particularly on repeatable tasks such as PM's), and feedback to Production Engineers on any inaccurate PM and master equipment data in the CMMS;
· Initiate equipment registration requests for changes in equipment hardware and/or data resulting from maintenance activities;
· Assist maintenance planners and supervisors in the identification, specification and purchase requisition of spares necessary to carry out the job;
· Raise requests through the line where a reactively purchases spare components needs to be considered for adding to the system for direct purchase or stores stock;
· Raise notifications in SAP to cover any maintenance issues discovered/observed during their time spent on plant;
· Responsible for accurate time writing of all worked hours against the Maintenance Order operations
· Carry out work place safety and condition audits as required;
· Continuously seek, suggest and deliver improvements to drive the overall productivity and quality of maintenance execution;
· Facilitate the work of contractors and specialist technicians working on the site. Facilitate on- the-job training and guidance to less experienced apprentices, staff and contractors;
· As part of a team, ensure call out cover and response to meet all out of hours maintenance requirements; and
· Lead by example as a role model for BP's leadership values and behaviours, fostering the development of a diverse and inclusive environment, with a strong 'speak up' safety and operating culture.
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Downstream Segment is responsible for the supply and trading, refining, marketing and transportation of crude oil and petroleum products to wholesale and retail customers. We market our products in over 100 countries, operating primarily in Asia, Europe and North America but also in Australia, Africa and Central and South America.
Application close date
United Kingdom - North East
Essential experience and job requirements
· Ability to contribute to the success of the team, fostering learning, sharing of ideas and building capability;
· Record of strong personal safety values and taking the lead in safety initiatives;
· Strong teamwork skills and willingness to work at developing the overall team capability;
· Proficiency in standard computer software (Microsoft Office) and demonstrated ability to learn maintenance management systems or other system used within the research centre (e.g. SAP);
· Proven ability to work flexibly and autonomously as required; and
· Good written and verbal communication skills
Other Requirements (eg Travel, Location)
· Minimum education requirements of City & Guilds in an appropriate craft discipline or NVQ level 3 or ONC/HNC;
· Recognised craft apprenticeship or equivalent and experience gained within a petrochemicals/research environment;
Desirable criteria and qualifications