SHE Advisor (Construction)
We currently have an opportunity available for a Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Advisor to support the Programmes business of Real Estate Solutions (RES) to join us at our site in Portway House, Preston.
As a SHE Advisor (Construction), you will be supporting Project Managers working in the Programmes business of RES to ensure their projects comply with statutory and business requirements.
The role is a supporting role, assisting Project Managers with compliance requirements, providing construction SHE and CDM support, advice and guidance and will require a mixture of office based activities with visits to projects sites within the UK. The role requires a strong construction and CDM knowledge base as the Programmes business project manages a variety construction projects from concept designs of buildings, new build and refurbishment projects to land remediation activities. Delivery of SHE (accountability and responsibility) remains with the Programme Managers, Project Managers and Engineers.
A significant element of the role will be to ensure the Programmes teams are complying with construction project CDM requirements for any appointed duty holder role and other statutory requirements as well as ensuring compliance with the RES SHE Management System.
The role will have a functional link to the RES Assurance team, who carry out internal SHE audits/inspections, and deliver SHE awareness training, however day to day activities will be to support Project Managers with SHE / CDM compliance activities including supplier assessments to ensure suppliers have the required skills, knowledge, experience and training (SKET) for the role and project risks.
This role will give you really good exposure to some very varied construction projects. You will visit lots of interesting sites, where you will gain you some really good experience.
Your main responsibilities as a SHE Advisor (Construction) will involve:
· Supporting Project Managers select suppliers with the required SKET to execute the required works involving reviewing pre-qualification questionnaires as SHE SME when requested, and assisting in the tender evaluation process
· Reviewing Project Manager's pre-construction information (PCI) and assisting with the compilation where required
· Reviewing Project Manager's project requirements and assisting where required to ensure compliance to CDM for example, notification to the Client of their duties, F10 submission, communication of PCI to all designers and contractors including design hazard risk registers
· Reviewing Project Manager's appointed contractor/principal contractor's construction phase health and safety plan to ensure suitable and sufficient including any risk assessments and method statements, environmental and traffic management plans
· Attending Project Manager's project site meetings as SHE representative where required
· Assisting Project Managers to carry out site inspections to perform Contractor Monitoring activities to comply with RES requirements
· Assist Project Managers where required with SHE input into the BAE Systems Lifecycle Management Risk Registers
· Supporting Project Managers where required to liaise with external authorities for project requirements, including the Health and Safety Executive, Local Health Authority and Environment Agencies as necessary
· Assist Project Managers to compile and report SHE metrics for Corporate Responsibility Desktop reporting, including energy & waste figures for individual projects
· Assist Project Managers and the Assurance team to investigate any accidents, incidents and near misses to identify the root cause and lessons learnt
· Assist the Assurance team where required with SHE audits/inspections, training and awareness, and promotion of any SHE campaigns
Your skills and qualifications as a SHE Advisor (Construction) will ideally include:
· Demonstrable SHE experience in the construction and consultant environments
· Fully conversant with CDM regulations is essential
· NEBOSH Construction Certificate or NEBOSH General Certificate with construction experience is essential
· CSCS Card - Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) Card or equivalent is essential
· Conversant with HSG65 or other Safety Management Systems is essential
· Experience of coaching, training, influencing and negotiating with staff at all levels to implement change and promote positive outcomes
· Knowledge of QSHE standards e.g. ISO9001, 14001 and 18001, is desirable
· Internal Auditor certification in at least one of the following: Environmental or Health & Safety is desirable
· Certificate of Environmental Management via IEMA or equivalent is desirable
What we're looking for in you:
You will be organised and self-motivated with the ability to work well as part of a team. You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and will be good at paying close attention to detail. You will be flexible and capable of working alone, as well as being adept at building successful working relationships with colleagues/stakeholders at all levels.
Location: Portway House, Preston
The Programmes team's projects are located across the UK and abroad. The role will involve travel to other sites within the UK (with some overnight stays) to support Project Managers and may occasionally require travel overseas to support our overseas portfolio.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
BAE Systems is home to the engineering expertise, technical skill and ingenious people that keep the UK at the forefront of defence and security capability. We manage some of today's toughest challenges, delivering the most complex programmes, which generate critical export growth whilst supporting thousands of advanced manufacturing jobs distributed throughout the UK.
Now we want even more great people to join us.
To support such a uniquely complex range of operations, our Shared Services people are likewise hugely diverse. About half of our 1000 employees are at 32 UK locations, in customer-facing roles, adding benefit and value to BAE Systems operations, people and property. We are home to experts who thrive on mental challenge - often specialists who are leaders in their fields.
Whatever the area you work in, the focus is always on delivering the highest quality solutions at the lowest possible cost. We welcome people with diverse skills and experience who bring a real passion for customer focus.
We pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.