2017 Software Engineering Intern - Modelling (6-12 months)Job Description
Location: Cambridge, UK
Duration: 6-12 months
About the role
ARM is looking for a skilled and motivated intern to join the team that is modelling ARM’s next generation architectures and devices. You will help to create C++ software models of leading edge ARM technologies that will power future systems in markets such as data centres, mobile communications and the Internet of Things (IoT). You will join an experienced multinational development team located in Cambridge, UK.
We produce highly efficient simulation models of new ARM architectures, processors, and embedded systems. These models start their story early in the product life-cycle. Our products are key to the hardware design and software development work of many teams within ARM; they are also delivered to ARM's partners to accelerate their development. The models are distributed with configuration and analysis tools and can be integrated into standard SystemC and RTL environments. Your work will influence decisions during the design and development of ARM's emerging technologies.
What will I be accountable for?
You will work within the team which develops and debugs high performance models of ARM’s leading edge IP and systems. The project you work on will depend on your talents and interests – previous projects have included developing complete CPU and video controller models, creating an experimental replacement for our Just-In-Time compiler using LLVM and creating a new performance testing framework.
The role will allow you to:
· Deepen your knowledge of software development practices in an Agile environment, surrounded by expert coders
· Learn about evolving ARM architectures and processor designs
· Collaborate with other ARM development teams working on advanced architectures, hardware design, software design and validation
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
Essential Skills & Experience
· You will be studying towards a degree in Computer Science or a similar subject.
· You will have experience in coding, preferably in C++ or Python.
· You should have a good understanding of computer architecture.
· You will have some understanding of the processes of software engineering, including design specification, coding, testing and debugging.
· You will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· You will need to be able to plan thoughtfully and be self-motivating.
Desirable Skills & Experience
· Experience with Linux, scripting and source control systems (e.g. Git, Subversion).
· Experience of cross-platform development under Linux and Windows.
· Knowledge of the C++ STL or C++11/14
· Knowledge of System Architectures or OS kernel internals.
· Experience with compiler technology
· Experience of embedded software development.
· Experience of Linux development tools or Microsoft Visual Studio.
How to Apply
If you are passionate about this role, click ‘apply now’.
We are currently only able to support applications from candidates who are already eligible to work and live in the UK. This might also include individuals who are currently under the Tier 4 study visa scheme. Therefore, you will automatically be deselected if this requirement isn’t met.
What does ARM’s recruitment process involve for Early Careers?
ARM hires early careers talent on a rolling basis and we have a limited number of roles available. We therefore encourage you to apply as soon as possible to ensure you have the best chance of being considered. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to take part in a digital/ telephone interview. If this interview goes well, we'll invite you to a selection day/ onsite interview. We'll be holding selection days every month where successful candidates will have the opportunity to learn more about ARM and meet our teams in person.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.