2017 Performance Modelling Intern (Summer)Job Description
ARM produces high performance simulation models of leading edge processor architectures and embedded systems. These models are created early in the product lifecycle, and are used extensively to help our hardware and software development. We are seeking highly motivated graduates with knowledge and enthusiasm in software programming and computer architecture.
What will I be accountable for?
You will work within a team developing and debugging high performance models of ARM’s leading edge IP and systems, and/or build tools to help us analyse data produced by these models.
Modelling involves testing architecture and micro-architecture designs early in the process in order to help designers to make the best decisions they can on what to put into new ARM CPUs, Architecture, and System IPs. The models and/or tools that you work on will help the modelling and other teams to make these design decisions and/or develop software for new CPUs and architectures.
All ARM engineers are also expected to promote and demonstrate the ARM core beliefs and behaviours.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
· Experience programming in C++.
· Understanding of computer architecture.
· Understanding of software development processes including design specification, coding, testing, and debugging.
· Experience of one or more of: Unix development tools, Microsoft Visual Studio, C++ STL.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Able to collaborate effectively with colleagues in other groups and sites.
· Pro-active and self motivating.
· Experience with Unix, scripting, and source control systems (e.g. Git, Subversion).
· Familiarity with one or more CPU instruction sets.
· Experience with RTL and SystemC simulators.
· Familiarity with System Verilog and RTL verification flows.
· Familiarity with ARM architectures.
· Experience with compilers and/or device drivers.
· Experience of hardware-software interfaces at the platform level.
· Flair for lateral thinking and problem solving.
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
· Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
· Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
· Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
· Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
· Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
· Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
Why work for ARM?
As an intern at ARM, you will work on real projects that have real impact, while also building on key skills for your future studies and employment. We believe in developing talent for the future, and therefore aim to offer many of our interns a graduate position once they have finished their studies. Working on interesting new projects is exciting but we also know how important it is to receive support. That’s why you will have regular 1 to 1 meetings with your line manager who will be able to offer ongoing support, feedback and development opportunities. You will be given a certain amount of flexibility and freedom in how you decide to complete your project tasks.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.