2017 Performance Engineer Intern (Summer)
2017 Performance Engineer Intern (Summer)Job Description
Do you want to stamp your mark on the future of mobile computing by improving the performance and end user experience (UX) of billions of ARM based devices? You have the opportunity to join a team of motivated and professional engineers helping ARM to maintain its leadership in the mobile market, as well as playing an essential role as ARM competes in other emerging consumer markets.
About the role
This role is within the expanding BLG Performance Group responsible for enabling the best possible user experience on ARM based smartphones, tablets, Chromebooks and 2-in-1 devices.
We are looking for an inquisitive software engineer willing to explore the full software stack and learn more about the underlying hardware and processor architecture. You will dive deep into both software and hardware in order to unlock the true performance of today’s and tomorrow’s mobile compute devices.
In this role you will take part in performance investigations based on real world scenarios, which demonstrate the competitiveness of current ARM based devices. Through detailed analysis you will determine how software and hardware design decisions affect the final end-user experience.
You will collaborate with, and influence, internal teams, silicon partners, leading OEMs and OS vendors to ensure that right systems are being built for the future.
What will I be accountable for?
· Involvement with investigations into real world scenarios and development of workloads to form an understanding of performance bottlenecks
· Experimentation with platform configurations to determine the highest performing solution to common user cases
· Identification of system and software improvements which will improve the end user experience
· Software development, testing and debugging on consumer devices
· Detailed analysis of results with a clear interpretation of statistical data
· Authoring of technical reports for a range of audiences
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
· Knowledge of development and debugging on mobile platforms such as Android
· Scripting experience with Shell, Python and/ or Perl
· Excellent written and spoken English communication, capable of writing coherent reports, influencing and building consensus
· Willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges
· Knowledge of one or more CPU architectures
· Knowledge of Linux or Android internals
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
· Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
· Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
· Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
· Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
· Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
· Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.
Discover the Company Page
- Information Technology Services Intern – Deloitte Application Studios Performance Engineer-Hermitage (Summer 2017)
- By Deloitte
- Hermitage (United States)