The CPU Group designs and develops processor IP which is used extensively in consumer devices such as mobile phones and tablets as well as in numerous other applications throughout the world. In Cambridge, there are designs in development for each of the profiles in the processor portfolio – Application, Realtime and Microcontroller. Ensuring these designs perform in a system is critical to their success.
The successful candidate will have responsibilities that cover wide areas of the software development and hardware verification process, such as:
· Developing software for next generation microprocessors
· Ensuring correct operation under extreme conditions
· Troubleshooting problems
You will have a unique opportunity to go beyond normal software development and gain a much deeper understanding of the hardware architecture!
What will I be accountable for?
You will be working with the OS system validation team within the ARM CPU division. The goal of the team is to make sure that various IPs of ARM (which includes various cutting edge CPUs) do exactly what they are supposed to do, before they go out in open market. This is done at system level, i.e. we emulate a full system which looks very similar to the final chip in an end device (e.g. a mobile phone or tablet), and try to boot various high level software on top of it (e.g. Linux, Android). Once booted, we try to hammer the system by using or writing complex applications, and make sure it still functions well and as expected.
As a Graduate Engineer to our team, you will be:
· Getting a unique opportunity to work with and have ‘under the hood’ deep expertise of both hardware and software, at the embedded/system level
· Working with a highly talented team, across a range of activities
· Interacting directly with the real designers/implementers of ARM CPUs
· Inducted to the team gradually by first assigning you less complex tasks and giving ample learning opportunities
· Taking on more challenging tasks as your experience and comfort increases. Some examples of tasks:
· Writing complex software pieces to stress the system
· Handling emulation infrastructure
· Debugging corner case issues
· Responsibility for all OS system validation work on a new design
As an integral part of ARM, you will be achieving those goals by promoting and demonstrating the ARM core beliefs and behaviours.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
You will need to be on track to receive, or have achieved at least a 2.1 degree (or equivalent) in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or other related subject. Other subjects will be considered with relevant experience.
In order for us to assess your understanding of microprocessor based systems and how these systems interact with both software and hardware, we request that you please state your studied modules within your application for this role.
· Knowledge of operating system fundamentals, and how operating systems use hardware features to work effectively
· Sound knowledge of 'C'
· Understanding of computer architecture and micro-architecture concepts
· Interest in finding bugs in complex systems and utilising novel ways to break things
· Knowledge of the ARM architecture
· Assembly language programming, ideally in ARM assembler
· Experience working with multiple operating systems, including varieties of Linux, at the kernel level
· Experience of debugging software for embedded systems
· Experience with scripting languages, e.g. Bash, Perl, Tcl
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
· Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
· Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
· Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
· Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
· Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
· Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
What can I expect in ARM’s recruitment process?
ARM hires early careers talent on a rolling basis and we have a limited number of roles available. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to take part in a digital/ telephone interview. If this interview goes well, we'll invite you to a selection day/on-site interview. We'll be holding selection days every month where successful candidates will have the opportunity to learn more about ARM and meet our teams in person.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.