2017 Graduate Hardware Engineer - Formal VerificationJob Description
Formal Methods are at the cutting edge of CPU verification and are crucial to the success of today's fast-paced development cycle, and ARM wants you to be a part of that success.
We are looking for enthusiastic graduate engineers who are attracted to a career in this up & coming field to collaborate in the development of next-generation CPU designs, help influence design & verification decisions, and shape the future of technology that will fuel billions of devices world-wide.
Formal Verification Graduates Roles at ARM
The CPU Group is focused on providing an array of designs for both existing and emerging markets ranging from highly-complex coherent cores to ultra-low power microcontrollers.
Together these components are used extensively in consumer devices such as mobile phones and tablets as well as in numerous other electronic products from sensors to servers.
Working in one of the hardware IP groups, you will need to be creative, innovative and enthusiastic about new technologies. As the complexity of designs increases, we are looking to more pioneering techniques to ensure correctness of design intent at both an implementation level and specification level.
Graduate hardware engineers immediately start working on real project tasks with the help and guidance of experienced engineers. Through teamwork, training and dedication to personal development, our goal is that every graduate engineer quickly learns about different aspects of developing highly-complex designs, will start contributing to different project tasks and ultimately develop into an expert in the field.
You will be working in a multi-site, multi-cultural environment and will have the opportunity to work on different projects and with different groups through the graduate rotation programme.
What will your role be?
• You will collaborate with design teams to shape and mould the structure of designs through the deployment of formal methods.
• You will work alongside formal experts to develop and deploy innovative formal verification techniques which have foundations in abstract formal concepts.
• You will help to develop rigorous design definitions to enhance both design process and levels of verification through the use model checking with the aim to push forward the field of machine readable specifications.
Are you a good fit for ARM?
In order to be considered, you will need at least a Bachelor’s degree at 2.1 (or equivalent) in Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant subject. Other STEM degree types may also be considered.
Essential skills and experience that we look for in a successful Formal Verification Graduate include:
• An engineering mind-set and passion for digital design
• A keen interest in processors and digital systems
• Understanding of computer architecture & micro-architectural concepts
• Familiarity with hardware description languages, such as VHDL or Verilog/SystemVerilog
• Strong reasoning skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to understand and map abstract formal concepts onto designs
• Creativity and ability to communicate ideas effectively
• Good inter-personal and teamwork skills
Desirable skills include:
• Knowledge of ARM architecture
• Knowledge of design techniques for low power
• Familiarity with SystemVerilog properties
• Exposure to invariants and abstractions
• Understanding of assume-guarantee reasoning and model-checking
• Use of a UNIX environment and shell programming/scripting in e.g. TCL, Perl, Python etc.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.