About the role
With a number of positions to fill we are looking for enthusiastic software engineers to join ARM’s software teams who are working at the forefront in the following embedded areas:
· Operating system development (Linux, Zephyr, FreeRTOS, mbed, Windows, etc)
· Application/middleware development (Android, ChromeOS, RedHat, Debian, etc)
· Power management optimisation (Linux, Android, ChromeOS)
· Software optimisation (JIT compiler, Android, ChromeOS, …)
· Build environments
· Automation tooling
If you’re interested in:
· The challenges of bringing up a new development board
· How to build, test and debug full software stacks on hardware that hasn’t yet been manufactured
· Gaining a deeper understanding of system architecture and performance
· How to scale a solution for a single developer into an automated real-time regression farm
Then we have a role for you!
What will I be accountable for?
As a Graduate, you will be placed in a development team at ARM’s offices in Cambridge, UK where you will have a mentor, and be able to get to grips with the problems ranging across many software areas. You will be working across all aspects of the software lifecycle whilst being supported by and learning from the rest of the team. You will also be offered the opportunity to explore other teams within ARM during your first 12 months with us, as part of our Graduate Rotation programme.
Whilst a lot of our work does involve Open Source software, many tasks require working with development platforms, or simulated hardware environments where features are being developed and tested before the physical devices have been built, so the problems you will be expected to understand and solve are ones that are as yet unknown to the general community.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need as an Embedded Software Intern?
Essential Skills & Qualities
· A passion for embedded computing that goes beyond your studies
· A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
· Knowledge of C and/or C++
· Comfortable communicating within a small team
· A desire for learning and self-improvement
Desirable Skills and Qualities
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would enhance your application:
· An appreciation of how and why version control software is useful
· Evidence of Open Source project interaction or contribution
· Operating system kernel or device drivers
· Application development
· Compilation technology, JIT (Just In Time) compilers…
· Android, ChromeOS, RedHat, Debian internals/middleware development
· Linux development or validation
· Zephyr, FreeRTOS, other RTOS development or validation
· Embedded devices, and programing beyond using a microcontroller
· An appreciation of some of the ways in which computer architectures differ
· Hands on experience with hardware and software debuggers
· Knowledge of other languages, such as shell, Perl, Python, Java, Haskell or any assembly
How do I stand out?
What additional beneficial extracurricular activities do you participate in whether this be self-study, community participation or volunteering. Examples of this being
· Projects undertaken outside of formal study
· Showcasing involvement in open source projects in the form of pointers to patches, repositories, bug reports…
· Community Activities
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
· Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
· Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
· Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
· Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
· Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
· Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
What does ARM’s recruitment process involve for Early Careers?
ARM hires early careers talent on a rolling basis and we have a limited number of roles available. We therefore encourage you to apply as soon as possible to ensure you have the best chance of being considered. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to take part in a digital/ telephone interview. If this interview goes well, we'll invite you to a selection day/ onsite interview. We'll be holding selection days every month where successful candidates will have the opportunity to learn more about ARM and meet our teams in person.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.