2017 Graduate Development Tools Engineer - IoTJob Description
The Internet of Things business unit at ARM are seeking a multi-disciplined junior engineer to join the development tools team, part of the online tools group. The ideal candidate will have an interest in web technologies and embedded devices and how IoT can change our lives for the better.
This is a unique opportunity for you to work on many different languages and technologies in a group at the intersection of web applications and embedded development in IoT.
You will have the opportunity to help us deliver developer tools across multiple platforms including web, mobile, browser and desktop. The applications you work on will give connected objects a presence on the web, making them easy to use and develop for.
The tools we craft enable developers to easily use the products being built around IoT at ARM. These include, but are not limited to IDEs, SDKs, simulators and build systems for mbed OS and the mbed Cloud Services.
Working in the emerging world of IoT, you will need to be proactive and have dynamic approaches to problem solving and creative thinking.
In return, you will join an experienced, professional team working with cutting edge technologies and concepts in an agile environment where you will have the opportunity to learn new technologies and progress your career.
A willingness to learn will be rewarded with training opportunities as well as the ability to work across other teams in the group.
· Work as part of a diverse team to design, deliver and support the developer tools needed to foster a developer ecosystem around IoT products in ARM
· Show demonstrable quality through unit testing and continuous integration
· Work alongside peers to discuss and solve unique technical problems
· Communicate effectively with other geographically-dispersed teams across the business unit
· Engage with our agile planning and development processes to help shape delivery of our products
Experience and Skills
You will have a strong understanding of scripting languages and compiled languages alike, as well as an appreciation of object-oriented techniques and modularisation.
The skillset of the team is necessarily diverse, leading to a very dynamic working environment. We are seeking someone with a "get things done" attitude and experience with some of the following:
· Server-side scripting development (e.g. Django, Node.js)
· Single-page application development (e.g. React, Backbone)
· Managed OO languages and related tooling (e.g. Java, C#)
· Source control systems, especially git
Any experience of these technologies would also benefit the role:
· Embedded Linux build systems (e.g. OpenEmbedded/Yocto, OpenWRT, Buildroot)
· Embedded build systems and compilers (e.g. CMake, autotools)
· IDE development (e.g. eclipse plugins, online IDEs)
· Continuous integration workflows including build systems, testing and deployment
· Containerization technologies (e.g. Docker)
· Agile principles and processes
We actively support cross-training between these technologies where there is no existing experience.
In your covering letter, please take the time expand on the experience and skills you have in relation to the things we are looking for in this position. This also helps show us you have taken the time to read and understand the job opportunity, and have decided to apply on that basis. Please also feel free to share links to any public code or projects you may have created.
You will be based in ARM hadquarters in Cambridge, UK, so must be willing and able to relocate as necessary.
You are expected to have a good degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or a relevant subject
As the leading supplier of semiconductor Intellectual Property (IP), ARM makes affordable, easy-to-use electronic innovations come to life. The ARM culture is open and relaxed where world-class, innovative engineers work together both ambitiously and collaboratively on solutions that shape how people connect every day. Since the ARM ecosystem includes many of the biggest names in consumer electronics and semiconductor manufacturing, becoming an engineer at ARM means your work will live at the heart of many of the world’s most innovative and widely used digital products.
ARM® is at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products. Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by ARM Partners who have shipped more than 50 billion Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.