2017 Embedded Software Interns (12 week, 6 month or 12 month placements)Job Description
About the role
We are looking for highly motivated software enthusiasts to join ARM’s embedded software teams. The positions are in various teams working on projects across the software stack – firmware, operating systems, device drivers, JIT compilers and Runtimes, middleware, etc.
If you’re interested in either of:
• Developing high quality, high performance software for ARM’s advanced architectures, CPUs, system IP, and integrated sub-systems.
• Digging deeper into the internals of how operating systems work
• How the firmware and OS interact, and the responsibilities of the firmware
• The challenges of bringing up a new development board
• Exploring the complexities of system architecture and its effect on performance
• Improving the quality of Software development with CI systems (Continuous Integration)
Then there is a role for you!
What will I be accountable for?
As an intern, you will work alongside experienced engineers as part of a development team at ARM’s offices in Cambridge, UK. Within the team, you will have a mentor and work on tasks that feed into supporting existing projects as well as exploring and prototyping ideas for the future. You’ll also receive guidance and support from other team members and have the opportunity to work across all aspects of the software life cycle.
Tasks vary by team need and are continuously updated to reflect priorities, interns typically work on investigating the feasibility of ideas, extending specific features, comparative analysis of multiple potential solutions and analysing root causes of reported behaviours. Many tasks require working with development platforms, or simulated hardware environments where features are being developed and tested before the physical devices have been built.
Most of the positions will give you the opportunity to upstream your code into an Open-Source project.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need as an Embedded Software Intern?
Essential Skills & Qualities
• A passion for embedded computing that goes beyond your studies
• A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
• Knowledge of C and/or C++
• Comfortable communicating within a small team
• A desire for learning and self-improvement
Desirable Skills and Qualities
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would enhance your application:
• An appreciation of how and why version control software is useful
• Open Source project interaction or contribution
• Operating system kernel or device drivers
• Application development
• Compilation technology, JIT (Just In Time) compilers and Runtime…
• Android, ChromeOS, RedHat, Debian internals/middleware development
• Linux development or validation
• Zephyr, FreeRTOS, other RTOS development or validation
• Embedded devices, and programing beyond using a microcontroller
• An appreciation of some of the ways in which computer architectures differ
• Hands on experience with hardware and software debuggers
• Knowledge of other languages, such as shell, Perl, Python, Java, Haskell or any assembly
• Continuous integration tools (Jenkins, buildbot…)
How do I stand out?
What additional beneficial extracurricular activities do you participate in whether this be self-study, community participation or volunteering. Examples of this being
• Projects undertaken outside of formal study
• Showcasing involvement in open source projects in the form of pointers to patches, repositories, bug reports…
• Community Activities
Please note multiple positions are available for this vacancy. Please indicate your preference:
• 12 week summer placements
• 6 month placements
• 12 month placements
We are currently only able to support applications from candidates who are already eligible to work and live in the UK. This might also include individuals who are currently under the Tier 4 study visa scheme. Therefore, you will automatically be deselected if this requirement isn’t met
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
· Annual Bonus Plan
· Discretionary Cash Award
· Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
· Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
· Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
· Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
· Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
· Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.