Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile, portable, hand-held consumer electronics products, like the Kindle. The products we design and engineer are easy-to-use and offer users benefits that are only made possible through tightly integrated digital technologies and wireless connectivity.
As a Tooling Engineer, you will be responsible for driving the design, fabrication, and validation of tooling for product development. You will work with Product Design, Mechanical Process Engineers, and Supply Chain Management to identify supply base vendors and fabrication technologies. You will be responsible for creating tooling designs to deliver consumer products with demanding fit and finish requirements. You will develop, investigate, and implement industry best practices in tool design and construction. You will be required to validate a wide range of materials and processes including plastic molding, metal part fabrication, and decorative processes.
· Collaborate with Product Design, Industrial Design, and Mechanical Process Engineering teams to support product development
· Collaborate with Lab126 suppliers to design and fabricate world-class tooling
· Manage tool design, fabrication, and validation at the supply base
· Drive analytical modeling and analysis of tooling concepts and design through “Mold Flow” and similar software
· Excellent oral and written communication skills including effective presentation of complex data
· Support the design, manufacture, and coordinate the procurement of dimensional and functional jigs / fixtures for tooling validation
· Develop the Lab126 supply base to utilize new materials and fabrication techniques for injection molding
· May be required to mentor and develop junior engineers
· Identify technical risks and define mitigation plan
· Travel domestically and internationally to supplier sites as projects require
· Capable of demonstrating achievements and implementation of innovative tooling concepts used in the mass production of consumer products
· Six Sigma Green or Black Belt certification
· Experience in the development of handheld consumer & mobile electronics products
· Experience in managing multiple development programs with overseas vendors
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
· 7+ years plastic injection mold design and fabrication experience, prefer experience with tight tolerance tooling and resolving out of spec issues
· Experience in the design and fabrication of Forging, CNC, Casting and related processes
· Proficient with the use of Design For Manufacturing, SPC
· Experience in the following fields:
o Mechanical design, Plastic Molding, including knowledge of IMD, Double Shot and Insert Molding.
o Metal Forming, including knowledge of Forming, Casting, Forging and CNC techniques.
o Production Process Qualification, Measurement and Analysis.
· Experience in tooling design qualification using Mold Flow software or equivalent
· Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
· Knowledge and experience using Pro/ENGINEER, UG Nx solid modeling