WorkSpaces is leading the cloud desktop revolution and we are looking for systems engineers who know how to design and maintain highly scalable software services. We care deeply about the user experience our customers have when they interact with their WorkSpace. This includes how long it takes to launch, how long it takes to log in, and how the in-session interaction feels. We must provide a secure and highly available WorkSpace to meet expectations. The right candidate for this role will be motivated by building the solutions and tools to handle these challenges at cloud scale.
System Engineers at Amazon are the backbone of our services. They work on large scale system design and help in our operational decision making. They are both hands on architects and implementers. They have a strong sense of ownership of the overall health and effectiveness of our services.
The ideal candidate will …
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is “Work hard. Have fun. Make history.” The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun.
Be passionate about customers. We start with the customer and work backwards. The right candidate will be passionate about delighting customers at all levels.
Dive deep to solve problems. Our services are highly available, scalable, durable, and secure. The right candidate will be ready to roll up their sleeves to dig out root causes and solve complex problems before they impact customers.
Know how to automate. We work fast and we work at scale. The right candidate will drive our culture of tooling and automation to scale our capabilities as our customers and services scale.
Have Intelligence Community (IC) experience. Customers in the IC have unique needs. The right candidate will fundamentally understand those needs and be able to craft solutions from AWS products and services.
Know how to Develop The Best. Our team is growing. The right candidate will mentor and develop the skills of other systems engineers, continuing to raise the technical bar at Amazon.
Your responsibilities include:
· Operate the Amazon WorkSpaces service to ensure the success of customer missions
· Work with business teams to understand customer issues and to investigate, prototype and deliver new and innovative solutions
· Develop scripts and tools for automation of system provisioning, deployment, upgrade, and scaling
· Create monitoring and alarming for crucial system availability and performance metrics
· Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve performance issues in the WorkSpaces service
· Roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty and do what it takes to deliver results
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
** For more information on this role, please contact Kevin Healy directly: email@example.com **
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Position can be located in Arlington, VA, Herndon, VA & Seattle, WA
Ideal candidate profile
· BS Computer Science or other technical degree and/or related experience
· 8+ years experience running and maintaining a 24x7 production environment and experience working with Linux/Unix systems
· 5+ year of experience working with automation tools and deploying and operating large scale software services on Linux
· 5+ years with BASH/Powershell/Python/Ruby or any other scripting languages
· This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.